Q. Why are these itchy patches in my pubic area repeatedly occurring?

Dr. Kakkar

I am a 43-year old male with repeated ringworm infection. This started about a year ago with small itchy patches in the groin area high up on inner thighs and pubic area. These would go away with the use of Candid-B cream and Canditral and Itrasys only to return in 10 to 15 days after stopping the medicines.

I have tried to maintain good personal hygiene with daily change of undergarments to no avail. Over time it returns and the patches only get bigger and leaves the skin discolored. I have also been given Fluconazole. Could you please recommend some form of treatment to get rid of it completely? I am currently on Thyronorm and Ciplar-LA 40. Please help.

#

Recurrence of tinea is most commonly due to either incomplete treatment or wrong medication most commonly the combination of a topical steroid with a topical antifungal e.g Candid-B (Beclometasone Topical and Clotrimazole Topical) or other similar preparations.

Topical steroids and antifungal combination creams though more effective in providing symptomatic relief from itching, actually prolonging the infection which manifests as clinical recurrence as soon as the treatment is stopped.

Therefore, you should use a plain topical antifungal like Lulifin cream (Luliconazole) 1% creamor Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) 2% cream twice daily for five to six weeks rather than using a combination cream that contains a topical steroid and topical antifungal.

In addition to this, I also suggest you take a different oral antifungal like tablet Zimig (Terbinafine) 250 mg once a day for five to six weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

I also suggest you take an oral antihistamine like Cetirizine 10 mg tablet for symptomatic relief from itching.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|