Q. Why are these itchy patches in my pubic area repeatedly occurring?

Answered by
Dr. Kakkar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 13, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 43-year old male with repeated ringworm infection. This started about a year ago with small itchy patches in the groin area high up on inner thighs and pubic area. These would go away with the use of Candid-B cream and Canditral and Itrasys only to return in 10 to 15 days after stopping the medicines.

I have tried to maintain good personal hygiene with daily change of undergarments to no avail. Over time it returns and the patches only get bigger and leaves the skin discolored. I have also been given Fluconazole. Could you please recommend some form of treatment to get rid of it completely? I am currently on Thyronorm and Ciplar-LA 40. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Recurrence of tinea is most commonly due to either incomplete treatment or wrong medication most commonly the combination of a topical steroid with a topical antifungal e.g Candid-B (Beclometasone Topical and Clotrimazole Topical) or other similar preparations.

Topical steroids and antifungal combination creams though more effective in providing symptomatic relief from itching, actually prolonging the infection which manifests as clinical recurrence as soon as the treatment is stopped.

Therefore, you should use a plain topical antifungal like Lulifin cream (Luliconazole) 1% creamor Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) 2% cream twice daily for five to six weeks rather than using a combination cream that contains a topical steroid and topical antifungal.

In addition to this, I also suggest you take a different oral antifungal like tablet Zimig (Terbinafine) 250 mg once a day for five to six weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.

I also suggest you take an oral antihistamine like Cetirizine 10 mg tablet for symptomatic relief from itching.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to treat glans discoloration?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a circular or oval area of discolored skin on the shaft of my penis, near the base. It started as a small circular area that looked very much like ringworm and now, it is much larger. The area of skin is paler than the rest of my penis and it seems to have some red scaling around th...  Read Full »

I have red and itchy bumps on the tip of my penis. What are they?

Query: Hello doctor,There are red and itchy tiny bumps all over the tip of the penis and inside the foreskin. What could it be? About three weeks ago, I had the same problem, which disappeared on its own, in about three days.  Read Full »

What can be done for recurrent tinea infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I appear to have a tinea infection on my hands. I previously hand one two years ago and symptoms are the same, peeling between fingers, sore and itchy skin, some scaly patches. A doctor here advised Clotrimazole cream and 150 mg of Flucanozole every week for four weeks. That initially wo...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.