Q. Can thyroid problem cause tingling, burning and numbness?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Jan 08, 2020

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism five years ago and currently taking 100 mg of Synthroid. My most recent lab work showed that I am now at hyperthyroid levels. In the past, I tried reduced levels of Synthroid but felt terrible.

I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy about 15 years ago with tingling and burning in the face and limbs. My Neurologist looked for MS due to my sister having the disease. The Neurologist said only to contact him if it got worse. I used to get two or three episodes per year, mostly during stress or period of fatigue.

In the last six months or so, I have almost constant tingling in my face, feet, and arms, and numbness on the sole of my foot. Burning is off and on, some days worse than others. I mentioned it to my GP at an appointment about one month ago, but he said it was nothing to worry about. Researched that thyroid problems can cause tingling, burning, and numbness. Could this be from thyroid? Usually, I would push my GP, but my husband was recently diagnosed with late-onset MS (five months ago), and I feel doctors will think I am a hypochondriac. I am planning to visit my doctor after the holidays but my husband had his attack recently, and I am focused on his issues. I am just curious if I should be worried. Please help.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

#

There are two issues involved, thyroid problem and the other one is if you ​have MS.

About thyroid, you are taking 100 mcg (not 100mg) Synthroid since long. My suggestion is to look for thyroid levels and consider tapering slowly over six months. You can discuss with your doctor for the same.

Next are your tingling and numbness. It could be because of diabetes. I am not sure if you have diabetes. If yes, reasonable control of sugar is required. If you are not tested for diabetes, then get tested for the same. As you have hypothyroidism, there is a good chance that you may also have diabetes.

Tingling and numbness can also be because of vitamin B12 deficiency. Check for levels of the same as it can be easily corrected with supplements.

Multiple sclerosis can be diagnosed clinically and by specific laboratory tests. If your doctor has already done it, and assured that you do not have it, then no need to worry. You have fear and anxiety about getting the same as you have a family history, and your husband is also diagnosed with it recently. If you have any weakness in legs or hands, blurring of vision, and paresthesia in extremities, then consult your doctor. Thanks.

| 

Reasons for burning sensation after peeling treatment for acne.

Query: Hi doctor, About 3 weeks ago, I was prescribed Retin-A 0.5% and Acticlate for an unusual breakout on my forehead by my dermatologist. The anaesthetician who also took a look at my face recommended Glytone PA chemical peel to help treat some discoloration that the acne had caused. I went in to see he...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in foot and arm for the last six weeks?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I am feeling numbness in my left foot and left arm (especially near fingers and hand area) for the last six weeks. Firstly, I just ignored it and thought it will go away with time but now I am getting confused about it and want your opinion on this. Got your medi...  Read Full »

Why is my left foot numb?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and I weigh 81 kg. Right side of my left foot is having numbness though it is not 100% numb. The left side of the foot has little pain. I get a feeling that there is some blockage in the blood flow though it might not be the case. I am a reg...  Read Full »