Q. What could be the reason for the tingling sensation on the left foot, hands, and arms despite normal MRI?

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari

I have had a tingling sensation on my left foot for the past two years, but now I have a tingling sensation in my hands and arms as well. I feel my hands are weak. I also have lower back pain. My MRI looks normal. What else could it be? Please help.

#

I sincerely hope that I can help you because the details and history are very meager and inadequate; anyways, I will try to reconstruct the events.

You face two symptoms, the first being tingling in both the hands and left foot. It is more in the hands, so I presume it started from the hands and then to the arms.

Please answer the following questions,

1) Is it intermittent or progressive?

2) Does it vary from time to time?

3) Does it wake you up from sleep?

4) Do you have any other symptoms?

5) Is it a loss of strength, or does it interfere with your work or daily routine?

6) Does the weakness in the legs interfere with your walking?

7) Is the progression intermittent or comes once in a while?

What you describe as tingling can originate in the peripheral nerves and the brain; this is also associated with weakness. Neurology requires history, progression, and as much detail as possible. The easier route is doing investigations, so an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) was done for you, probably to rule out Multiple Sclerosis (I am almost sure you do not have that). But it is nearly impossible to conclude, but you can certainly do a few other things.

I suggest you taking,

1) Vitamin B-12 tablets.

2) Tablet Pregabalin 75 mg - one tablet twice a day.

Please write a detailed history listing everything chronologically, however insignificant it may seem to you.

Thank you for the reply.

It started in my hands and feet at the same time suddenly after I had a golf lesson and lasted for six weeks. The foot improved slightly. It bothers me more when I am sitting or lying down. The main fingers affected are four and five on the hands. I am on Vitamin B-12 injections already, and I have normal blood. The weakness comes and goes. i can walk and I can do things with hand. Still, it is like my arms are tired. Thank you.

#

Golf is one of the major sports leading to nerve injuries. Golf requires spine rotation, including cervical (neck), thorax (upper back), and lower back. The sudden process and stoppage lead to strain on the exiting nerves from the spine and can cause both tingling and weakness. It may take 8 to 12 weeks to heal completely, and it should be getting better now. The things which delay the healing are poor posture, mainly slouching or sitting in the bed. You have to improve your posture. It is preferable to sit on a comfortable dining chair rather than low sofas.

Similarly, do not sit in the bed, lie down or get out of bed. Avoid forward bending. Once the tingling is less, you need to do neck and lower back muscle strengthening exercises. Internet will show some good posture drills, or you can take the help of a physiotherapist. The pain and tingling will gradually go away. There is nothing to worry about.

I suggest you,

• Oral Vitamin B 12 supplement
  • Tablet Pregabalin - 75 mg.
  • Paracetamol for pain.

Once the tingling is better, you can start muscle strengthening exercises and happy golfing.

Thank you for the reply.

The weakness in my arms and legs is quite bad, and I am very fatigued. The tingling is intermittent now compared to weeks ago, but the weakness is worse. I am worried this is MND (motor neuron disease). Could it be?

Thanks.

#

No, it is not MND (motor neuron disease); as the name suggests, it affects the motor system, and there are no sensory symptoms. As you have tingling, a sensory system symptom, MND is ruled out. Similarly, intermittent symptoms do not occur in MND. So you can get assured that you do not have MND. If you continue with the regime advised as above, you should be getting better. Unfortunately, a vicious cycle of anxiety due to the problem is causing more problems. Anxiolytics may help you. I suggest taking a course on tablet Alprazolam (Xanax). Continue the other advised medicine as before. Please relax and do not worry.

I do worry but that is because where I am from I cannot get booked into a neurologist until August and my GP does not know what it is so I am left wondering and waiting.
Can the weakness continue even if tingling subsides?
#

Going by the facts of your symptoms and progression of symptoms, it does not appear to be anything significant. Of course, it does trouble you, but the facts remain that we approach it scientifically. Obviously, it is not MND (motor neuron disease); as I have already pointed out, the intermittent and sensory symptoms do not fit with MND. However, there is a definite incidence of aggravating factors and motor and sensory symptoms leading to anxiety.

I suggest continuing physiotherapy and exercises. Yes, I am sure the tingling and weakness will subside. Regards.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I have booked physio. The tingling is gone, but the weakness and fatigue are still there very badly, which worried me. I understand anxiety does not help but feeling this way is not nice.

#

Things will improve gradually; physiotherapy will help you greatly; nothing more is required.

|