Q. What is the treatment for ruptured eardrum?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

One of my family friend's son was slapped accidently by his friend, and his eardrum was punctured. Some doctors say that it can be healed by medicines and some say that it can be cured by surgery. Kindly advise the real picture as parents are worried a lot.

#

• But in a few cases where drum does not heal up completely, or there is a residual ear perforation, the further management depends on the size of perforation and amount of hearing loss.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-otolaryngologist

Your answer is very much encouraging. I have attached a few reports here. Please have a look.

#

• The perforation is probably small as hearing loss is mild (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Just keep the ear dry. You need not require ear drops or medicine.
  • I suggest tablet Montair LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) once daily. Consult the specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

The incident happened around 15 days ago and the boy's mother put some mustard oil in the ear once. Should we need to take any extra precaution?

#

• It is not good to put mustard oil or anything else into the ear. Anyways, now just keep the ear dry.
  • Please get it treated early. If the child gets any cold or nasal or throat infection, then it shall infect and disturb the healing of the drum.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-otolaryngologist

|