Tinnitus

Why do I have impaired balance when I shake my head?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 51 year old male. I have never had any medical condition prior. I spent a very cold day outside and woke up the next day with a feel of dizzy (like I am drunk), queasy and tired. There is no pain, cough or discharge. When I move my head from side to side my balance gets impaired...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your problem seems to be due to inner ear infection leading to impairment of balance on head movements and ringing sensation in ear known as tinnitus. You need ear examination and complete vestibular functions assessment and evaluation by an ENT (ear, nose and throat...  Read Full »

I experience ringing sound with itching in the ear. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, For the last two days, I have a ringing sound in my right ear. I have not been exposed to loud music but for the last week are so I had itching and the day before the ringing started and my right ear was blocked. So I cleared it with hydrogen peroxide but the ringing is not going away...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What doctor has prescribed you is correct. Audiometry will see if you have any associated hearing loss and tympanometry will see if there is any middle ear infection that is causing hearing loss. (though the prescription is not attached). Wisdom tooth will cause radiat...  Read Full »

I have tinnitus and sensorineural hearing loss. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I want to tell you that I have sensineural hearing loss and tinnitus according to my reports. My doctor told me that I have mild sensineural hearing loss. I am sending you reports. I want to clear my doubts about sensineural hearing loss. Is my sensineural hearing loss progressive in...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since how many days are you having hearing loss and tinnitus? If it is since a few days you should try taking oral steroids. Your hearing loss can revert back. MRI or any other scan is not needed. But you do let me know if your tinnitus and hearing loss is sudden in ons...  Read Full »

I have tinnitus with ear pain after waking up. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Only when I wake up, I feel ear ache/pain, also pressure in my left ear, it only happens when I have been sleeping on the left ear. The ear ache/pain lingers for 5 minutes or so and fades away. It started 4 months ago, but seemed to go away for 1 month, but now I have had it again for...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is a rare case which I saw few times. It is caused by warming the auricle while sleeping on it. Use Corticosteroid and antibiotic cream when needed. Do not apply water for your ear during the time of pain.  Read Full »

What causes ringing noise and humming alternatively?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 69 year old retired internist. I am not taking any regular medication other than Aspirin 325 mg. I have no known allergies and have never smoked. I do not have any medical history of thyroid disease, autoimmune diseases or Paget's disease. Around four to five weeks back, I noted th...  Read Full »

Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you are suffering from is known as tinnitus. It is not a disease itself rather a symptom due to various underlying causes like age related, hypertension, impacted wax, fluid in middle ear, patulous eustachian tube, TMJD (temperomandibular joint disorder), hypert...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for ringing sound in the ears and dimmed echo in the head?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a hard-working man in my mid-60s. Two years ago a 15 lb street light fell on my head, a 10 feet drop. Since then I have been having a problem with my ear, a dimmed echo in my head when I speak and frequent high pitched ringing that leads to aggravating headaches. This could not ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tinnitus is often described as a ringing in the ears like roaring, clicking, hissing, or buzzing which cannot be attributed to an external source. Post-traumatic tinnitus usually follows head and neck injuries. Do you have tinnitus in both the ears or in one ear? Any...  Read Full »

Is Tinnex effective in treating tinnitus?

Query: Hi doctor, I have mild tinnitus effect. Continuous multi-frequency unreal sound coming in both ears and sometimes one particular tone become loud (tolerable) and lasts for 5-10 seconds and again goes to same state. I mean I have continuous mild ringing and sometime some tone becomes loud and again ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, tinnitus is a difficult condition to treat. Generally originates from hair cells in inner ear. If all investigations are normal, then various medicines can be tried. Tinnex (Caroverine) or Tinnicar 20 mg twice a day for 15 days followed by 40 mg twice a day can ...  Read Full »

I have ringing in my ears for a long time. What could be the cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 years old, and I have ringing in my ears as long as I can remember, but I have never thought to ask about it until now. Is there something I should be doing? Should I be seeing someone?  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welocme to icliniq.com. The ringing sensation, tinnitus is a subjective sensation, hence should never be neglected. Yes if proper tests are done and you rule out any pathology then we can start behavioural therapy with which you slowly neglect the sounds. Tinnitus is the first sign of path...  Read Full »

I hear some sound when I stay in a silent environment. Is it tinnitus?

Query: Hello doctor, When we are in silence, we always hear some sound. I know we are not in a vacuum, so some external sound will always be audible house noises, etc.? Hope this is not tinnitus. Even sensory deprivation of ear causes body noises and hallucinations, read in places that are created as 0 dB...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is not tinnitus. Tinnitus would be heard easily, trouble you, and you would not have to search for it specifically. Tinnitus would be heard even in an environment with some sound not sufficient to mask tinnitus. It may interfere with your daily activities. And y...  Read Full »

I am diagnosed with tinnitus. What could be the cause for it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with tinnitus, and it is driving me crazy for the past 5.5 months. In my CTA examination, my upper cervical spine demonstrates some moderate facet arthritis primarily at c2 and c3. It also shows an incomplete fusion of the posterior arch of c1 and mild cervical s...  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Cervical spine abnormalities can cause vertigo but not tinnitus. A zygomatic bone fracture can be a cause of tinnitus if it is impinging on the mandible. But that would be more due to chewing and movements of the lower jaw, and sinusitis can also cause tinnitus if it...  Read Full »