Q. What is the safe way to ease tinnitus?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

I am getting some sound in both the ears. It continues as a mild sound of high frequency and another sound like humming, vibrating and pulsating sound. This becomes noticeable in the quiet zone and less prominent in working or outside areas. It is mild tinnitus, but bothersome in the night and silent area. However, I do not face many problems to get sleep. I get to sleep at 10 PM. Doctors say that there is no cure. There is a possible relief from Caroverine, but no doctor recommends that. There is sound therapy (experimental), which can cancel out tinnitus sound and after a long time neural network stops generating such noises. There are two activities one at auditory cortex and second at cochlear hair cells of the ear. How to make out the location of fault? Please guide me and advise me what to do with this tinnitus sound. Which is the safe way to ease it? What are the recommended herbs or medicines other than vitamins?

#

Yes, you have tinnitus and many medicines are available to cure it. First, get an audiometry done to see if there is any associated hearing loss.

I suggest tablet Cinnarizine twice daily for at least three weeks and tablet Vitamin B12 1500 mcg daily. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

Do not use earphones and even limit your mobile usage. Follow up with your audiometry report.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I do not have hearing loss and it was checked with audiogram. But, there is a definite background sound. They are very much noticeable in silence.

#

• Just be compliant with the medicines and sometimes, it needs to be taken for three weeks for any noticeable effect. Take care.

|