Q. What is the safe way to ease tinnitus?

Answered by
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am getting some sound in both the ears. It continues as a mild sound of high frequency and another sound like humming, vibrating and pulsating sound. This becomes noticeable in the quiet zone and less prominent in working or outside areas. It is mild tinnitus, but bothersome in the night and silent area. However, I do not face many problems to get sleep. I get to sleep at 10 PM. Doctors say that there is no cure. There is a possible relief from Caroverine, but no doctor recommends that. There is sound therapy (experimental), which can cancel out tinnitus sound and after a long time neural network stops generating such noises. There are two activities one at auditory cortex and second at cochlear hair cells of the ear. How to make out the location of fault? Please guide me and advise me what to do with this tinnitus sound. Which is the safe way to ease it? What are the recommended herbs or medicines other than vitamins?



Welcome to

Yes, you have tinnitus and many medicines are available to cure it. First, get an audiometry done to see if there is any associated hearing loss.

I suggest tablet Cinnarizine twice daily for at least three weeks and tablet Vitamin B12 1500 mcg daily. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

Do not use earphones and even limit your mobile usage. Follow up with your audiometry report.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->

Hi doctor,

I do not have hearing loss and it was checked with audiogram. But, there is a definite background sound. They are very much noticeable in silence.



Welcome back to

  • Just be compliant with the medicines and sometimes, it needs to be taken for three weeks for any noticeable effect. Take care.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can sound from a loudspeaker cause any effect on my eardrum?

Symptoms include ringing sensation in ear known as tinnitus and hearing loss ... If only tinnitus is present, protect the ear from further damage and also take some neuroprotective drugs ...   Read full

What would you advise for clogging of ears and tinnitus after a flu?

.. of ears and ringing sensation (tinnitus) are probably due to accumulation of fluid in your middle ear post eustachian tube blockage, as a result of the upper respiratory tract infection you had had previously, a condition known as serous otitis me...   Read full

Is it normal to hear a little sound in a closed room?

.. called tinnitus, and there are many reasons for it. Some of the reasons are an infection of the middle and external ear, otosclerosis, sensorineural hearing loss, glue ear, anatomical variations of the vessels, etc. First, we need to examine yo...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.