Q. Is it normal to hear a little sound in a closed room?

Dr. Kumar M
Published on Apr 23, 2017

I have noticed that when I am alone in a closed room or studying, I hear some sound. My father used to say this is because of wax in the ear, but when my ears are clean, I still hear the sound. I am sure that my hearing is fine. Could this be the sound of blood circulation? Is it normal to hear a little sound in a closed room?

Dr. Kumar M

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

This is called tinnitus, and there are many reasons for it. Some of the reasons are an infection of the middle and external ear, otosclerosis, sensorineural hearing loss, glue ear, anatomical variations of the vessels, etc.

First, we need to examine your ears and do an audiogram, then only we can come to a diagnosis.

For further queries consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

A few years back, I got an audiogram done, and it was normal. Should I do it again?

Dr. Kumar M

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Yes, you need to repeat it.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »

What is the cause of ear pain with cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male, and I have pain in the ear from today afternoon. I do not have any liquid discharge from the ear, but the pain is increasing with passing time. At night, the pain is very intense.I can hear all voices clearly, but my ear is paining a lot. I do not understand the r...  Read Full »