Q. What can be done for swollen, bruised, and painful toe?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

I fell this morning and I am pretty sure I broke a toe. It is a bit swollen, bruised, and painful. I landed on my knee and top of my foot. My knee is fine but the top of my foot is a little tender. It has a small bruise. My other toes are getting numb. Do I need to see a doctor?

#

I have gone through your history, as you have stated that you are having pain, swelling and bruising on dorsum (top) of foot region. In that event, I advise you to get:

X-ray of affected foot (AP and oblique views) because we have to rule out any bony injury as management changes if there is a fracture. Do not put weight on affected foot as your swelling might increase further. Intensive ice packs need to be applied (10 to 15 minutes every 2 to 3 hours) to keep swelling to bare minimum. You can take OTC analgesic like Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol whichever is available and is not a contraindication for you. Keep your limb elevated over pillow at night while sleeping. Please contact me with X-ray of affected part and I can guide you as to further course of action.

|