Q. What can be done for swollen, bruised, and painful toe?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

I fell this morning and I am pretty sure I broke a toe. It is a bit swollen, bruised, and painful. I landed on my knee and top of my foot. My knee is fine but the top of my foot is a little tender. It has a small bruise. My other toes are getting numb. Do I need to see a doctor?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through your history, as you have stated that you are having pain, swelling and bruising on dorsum (top) of foot region. In that event, I advise you to get:

X-ray of affected foot (AP and oblique views) because we have to rule out any bony injury as management changes if there is a fracture. Do not put weight on affected foot as your swelling might increase further. Intensive ice packs need to be applied (10 to 15 minutes every 2 to 3 hours) to keep swelling to bare minimum. You can take OTC analgesic like Diclofenac, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol whichever is available and is not a contraindication for you. Keep your limb elevated over pillow at night while sleeping. Please contact me with X-ray of affected part and I can guide you as to further course of action.

| 

Why am I getting pain in the second toe on my right foot?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a pain in my second toe on my right foot. There is no swelling, bruising or discoloration. It does not hurt when walking or anything. It only hurts when being pushed down. For example, when I have to sit down on my knees that toe has a sharp pain when being pushed down on the ground...  Read Full »

Foot pain started 18 months ago after running. Please review my X-ray.

Query: Hello doctor, Foot pain started 18 months ago after running. It has persisted, but the severity of pain depends on how active I am. Most recently, the pain has become more severe. Please review my X-ray.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now