Q. My 3-year-old grandson refuses to potty train. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

I have a 3 year old grandson (he will be 4 in 2 months). He refuses to potty train. We have tried everything. He is now in underwear hoping he will go on the potty but he still pees and poops in his pants. He has even lied about pooping in his pants when I asked him. I could smell it. We are not getting angry with him. I told him that the next time he will poop on the potty and he shook his head no. We are trying because no school will take him not potty trained at his age. How do we proceed without making him more resistant? He certainly knows what we expect. Help!

# The best way around is to develop proper brain conditioning at this age. This can be done in your case by making the child wash the soiled pants while you assist him. When this is done for a few times, the child knows the consequences and is forced to go to the potty.
Another method would be to make the child continuously sit on the potty for 15 mins daily once in the morning and once at night. This way the child would be programmed to use the potty and will be confident about it and use it to his benefit.

|