Child Behavior

An 8-year-old gets angry at home and not listening others. Is it due to ADHD?

Query: Hello doctor,My son is 8 years old. In school, mostly he is good for everything. At home, he gets angry with parents and his 2 years old sister. We cannot shout at him for anything. Mostly he will not listen to us. He will be making loud sounds, taking a knife, telling he wants to die like that thin...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, your child does have some behavioral problem which can be tackled through parental counseling. Children's behavior develops in response to elder's behaviors because they gradually experience things and grow and learn. So, the way you tackle with your child is th...  Read Full »

Is it normal to skip food often by a 14-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, I am worried about my daughter. She is 14 years old and suffers from anxiety, often triggered by being in a crowd or busy environment. In recent months she has started avoiding food. She skips breakfast and then does not eat lunch at school. She will, however, eat her tea at home. Eve...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Jauhari

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Teenagers go through difficult phases of mental, emotional and physical growth. It is really good that as a parent you are paying full attention, now here are some suggestions. Do not be critical of your child's behavior. Gently try to introduce the idea that health and...  Read Full »

How to help a child who does not defend himself?

Query: Hi . I have noticed lately that my 2 year old does not defend him self . His younger cousin has pulled his hair and bit him the other does infront of me and he stand there wining without trying to hitback or saving himself from her . He is now in kindergarden and i am afraid that his peers are hit...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello Welcome to icliniq - I can understand that as a parent it will be difficult to see your little child being hit by others. -It is a commonly encountered in real life and can be managed gently with helping your son to be more assertive , develop boundaries and relationships with his peers - ...  Read Full »

Please suggest tips to increase concentration and memory power in a 4-year-old kid.

Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old baby boy is very active throughout the day and cannot sit or stand for even a second. He always acts like someone in the cartoon and mobile. He will not sleep in the daytime and he has a lack of concentration and sleeping also. He becomes aggressive and often bites and ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your 4-year-old baby is very active throughout the day, cannot sit or stand for a second, lack of sleep and concentration, very much aggressive and often bites or hurts his parents. Some medical and mental hea...  Read Full »

How to potty train a stubborn 3-year-old?

Query: I have a 3 year old grandson (he will be 4 in 2 months). He refuses to potty train. We have tried everything. He is now in underwear hoping he will go on the potty but he still pees and poops in his pants. He has even lied about pooping in his pants when I asked him. I could smell it. We are no...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: The best way around is to develop proper brain conditioning at this age. This can be done in your case by making the child wash the soiled pants while you assist him. When this is done for a few times, the child knows the consequences and is forced to go to the potty. Another method would be to mak...  Read Full »

Can autism result in behavior change in a 5-year-old?

Query: My son is 5 yrs old a male 45 lbs and 3foot 4 inches he is extremely sensitive to loud sound when he is angry he lashes out at who ever he is angry with troughs and brakes things. When you try to talk about or work things out with him he ignores you like your not even there. Also he wa as well on h...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Khandelwal

Answer: Autism is a spectrum and not just one or two symptoms. As you have mentioned that after a visit to a relative he started not going to poop in toilet so it can be the cause. Children don't say anything but observes and learn. So may be rather than asking why you may use different parenting techniques...  Read Full »

What should be done if a child is not studying even after we request or beat?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 8 years old, and he does not like to do his homework. We requested him to do his homework in a soft voice and tried consoling him to study. Eventually, we gave up and heavily reprimanded my kid almost every day. Sometimes we beat him if things do not happen as expected. Later...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Your experience with your son is common among many parents. The situation can be managed with appropriate support. Find out the reason why your son does not like to do his homework. Is he lazy or having any difficulties with studying, reading, or maths? Does he have any ...  Read Full »

My 5-year-old boy seems tense and cries for little things. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old boy seems tense and thinks most of the time. He cannot accept if anyone is unhappy with him, he gets really angry, and he starts crying on things which we cannot understand.  Read Full »

Dr. Arooj Najmussaqib

Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Children do get upset because of several reasons other than hereditary. Mostly it triggers because of present stressor in the environment such as unfulfillment of basic needs (food, social, hygiene, health, etc.). Other stressors might be lack of parental love and at...  Read Full »

A 10-year-old girl behaves like a 16-year-old in the way of dressing and talking. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am asking about a 10-year-old girl. She is acting like she is much older than her age (in the wrong way). She is exhibiting behaviors of a 16-year-old, and it is very concerning. She is wearing heavy makeup, making lip-syncing videos using songs that have explicit language and talk ab...  Read Full »

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it appears that the 10-year old girl in your family is modeling her behavior and trying to emulate some women around her. There may be a socio-cultural element that is driving this behavior, but the young girl's safety needs to be prioritized....  Read Full »

Why is a 2-year-old beating parents on waking up?

Query: Hello doctor,My 2 years old little girl is beating us the moment she wakes up. So whenever she sleeps after some time she starts waking up and starts beating and after some time she is fine but with no past memory. She also says something while she is asleep. She is doing this every day.  Read Full »

Dr. Shania Zafar

Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As reported by you that your 2-year-old is hitting you, scratching her face and banging her head, it seems like your daughter is engaging in self-harm behaviors. It is the way of children to cope up with their negative emotions. I would like to know about the speech of ...  Read Full »