Q. How long will it take for the salivary secretion to revert post chemotherapy for tongue cancer?

Dr. Vijay Parshuram Raturi

My mother is suffering from neck and tongue cancer. Doctor suggested radiation and chemotherapy and we have completed the treatment successfully before six months. But until now, the process of saliva in the mouth is not started yet. Can you prescribe some medicine for it? And we are worried about the future. If possible, can you suggest some medicine, so that we can prevent this in the future? Please suggest.

#

As per your information, your mother has undergone chemo-radiotherapy for carcinoma tongue with lymph nodes. So while delivering the radiation dose to cancer, the parotid (salivary gland) gland was also exposed to radiation leading to radiation-induced xerostomia (decreased saliva production post-radiation).

It is a common side effect of head and neck radiation (I do not have information about what radiation dose was delivered to both the parotid gland and which radiation technique (IMRT or 3DCRT) was performed for the treatment).

To stimulate salivary production with some degree of residual salivary parenchyma,

1. Patients need to chew gums or suck pastilles and lozenges.

2. Tablet Cevimeline 30 mg three times a day (TDS) for 12 weeks.

3. Artificial saliva spray is another option if salivary production is not stimulated using tablet Cevimeline. (Tell her to drink the right quantity of water at least 2-2.5 liters/day).

As per the CT (computerized tomography) scan report (dated June 2020), there is soft tissue fullness on the right side of the palate (post-treatment changes or residual disease) for these. You need to consult your primary doctor who has performed the radiotherapy to cross verify the CT finding.

Chemo-radiation induced xerostomia.

Salivary flow function using sialometry.

Radiation related xerostomia.

Chewing gums or sucking pastilles and lozenges. Tablet Cevimeline 30 mg thrice daily (TDS) for 12 weeks. (important: crosscheck for the drug interaction with any other drug that she is taking for another co-morbidity with your treating doctor). Topical application of artificial saliva (salivary substitute). Consult a dentist to perform investigation (sialometry to check for salivary flow) pre and post-treatment after taking tablet Cevimeline.

Tablet Cevimeline (side effects: sweating, increase in the frequency of urine, nausea, headache). Consult a doctor if you have any of these symptoms. It is contraindicated in asthmatic patient and in glaucoma, and may cause a change in the vision at night. The patient needs to drink at least 2-2.5 liters of water to prevent dehydration.

| 

CA-125 test value is 13.32 U/ml after tumor removal. Is chemotherapy required?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has undergone tumor removal surgery along with uterus and ovary removal a week back. CA-125 test value is 13.32 U/ml. The doctor has advised to undergo 4 to 6 sessions of chemotherapy based on the biopsy report and below impression: Sex cord- stromal tumor– granulosa ce...  Read Full »

Are altered taste and less saliva production related to Bell's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have followed your advice regarding back pain. My pain is minimal, and I am still continuing with the exercise. Now, I have another problem. My appetite has become very poor, and I cannot eat most of the things I used to eat before. This became an issue even before the Bell's palsy prob...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Radiation Oncologist Now