Q. What is the treatment followed to treat squamous cell carcinoma of tongue?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar
Published on Nov 12, 2018

My father is 77 years old. He is diagnosed with moderately differentiated squamous cell carcinoma, in the right vallecula and at the base of the tongue aggregating 0.5 × 0.5 × 0.2 cm. He has pain and sensation while eating and drinking. What is the treatment? Please suggest.

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

Treatment of choice in this condition is radical radiotherapy using IMRT (intensity modulated radiation therapy) and IGRT (image-guided radiation therapy) technique with concurrent weekly cisplatin chemotherapy.

How much time will it require to complete the treatment?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

It takes six weeks for radiotherapy (treated with 65 Gy in 30 fractions) with six doses of chemotherapy every week.

Will surgery help in this condition?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

Surgery is not an option because of the current location of the tumor.

PET scan shows no further suspected cell in any other part of the body. Since the tumor is located in a single slot, why can it be destructed only by radiation therapy?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

Multiple studies have shown combining chemotherapy with radiotherapy has improved treatment outcomes when compared to radiotherapy alone.

Is there any way to prevent eye damage during radiotherapy for nose cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I have nose cancer, so I am going to get radiotherapy. The doctor said that the radiation might touch the eye, which may lead to loss of vision and eye removal. Is there any other way to prevent this? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Andrew Chellakumar Fenn
Radiation Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have not given enough details, but from what I understand, you need to be given radiation to your nose. With conventional radiation, it is very difficult to save the eye, but we can try computerized radiation like IMRT (intensity-modulated radiation therapy) or VMAT (...  Read Full

What treatment can cure well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother is suffering from well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma. Her age is between 55 to 60. What treatment can cure her?  Read Full >>

Dr. Arshad Hussain Shah
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern, the report of your mother is clearly showing a food pipe cancer (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This cancer has not been staged yet. So she will have to undergo some more investigations including PET/CT scan, transesophag...  Read Full

My father has severe diarrhea after chemotherapy for colon cancer. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 43 years old father has colon cancer. He had undergone hemicolectomy laparoscopic surgery, and he is currently undergoing chemotherapy with Xelox (Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine). I am here to ask you about the side effects of chemo that my father is experiencing from the first cycle...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rakesh Mittal
Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Diarrhea could be due to surgery or chemotherapy or both. Normally, the patients should not have this much diarrhea. If it remains uncontrolled, you may have to stop chemotherapy for some days.Weight loss is common in this condition. After chemotherapy, he should be fine. A...  Read Full

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now