Q. What is the treatment followed to treat squamous cell carcinoma of tongue?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

My father is 77 years old. He is diagnosed with moderately differentiated squamous cell carcinoma, in the right vallecula and at the base of the tongue aggregating 0.5 × 0.5 × 0.2 cm. He has pain and sensation while eating and drinking. What is the treatment? Please suggest.

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

Treatment of choice in this condition is radical radiotherapy using IMRT (intensity modulated radiation therapy) and IGRT (image-guided radiation therapy) technique with concurrent weekly cisplatin chemotherapy.

| 

How much time will it require to complete the treatment?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

It takes six weeks for radiotherapy (treated with 65 Gy in 30 fractions) with six doses of chemotherapy every week.

| 

Will surgery help in this condition?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

Surgery is not an option because of the current location of the tumor.

| 

PET scan shows no further suspected cell in any other part of the body. Since the tumor is located in a single slot, why can it be destructed only by radiation therapy?

Dr. Varadarajan Kumar

Medical Oncology Radiation Oncology
#

Multiple studies have shown combining chemotherapy with radiotherapy has improved treatment outcomes when compared to radiotherapy alone.

| 

Is there any way to prevent eye damage during radiotherapy for nose cancer?

Query: Hi doctor,I have nose cancer, so I am going to get radiotherapy. The doctor said that the radiation might touch the eye, which may lead to loss of vision and eye removal. Is there any other way to prevent this? Please help.  Read Full »

What treatment can cure well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma?

Query: Hi doctor,My mother is suffering from well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma. Her age is between 55 to 60. What treatment can cure her?  Read Full »

My father has severe diarrhea after chemotherapy for colon cancer. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My 43 years old father has colon cancer. He had undergone hemicolectomy laparoscopic surgery, and he is currently undergoing chemotherapy with Xelox (Oxaliplatin and Capecitabine). I am here to ask you about the side effects of chemo that my father is experiencing from the first cycle...  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now