Q. What should I do to manage nocturnal seizures?

Dr. Aida Quka

For the last seven years, I have been having about one to three nocturnal seizures (tonic-clonic) a year. There was one year in the previous seven years, where I did not have any nocturnal seizures, but I had two to three a year for the last couple of years. I am not on medication, and I have tried to improve my sleeping habits. What do you recommend?

#

I understand your concern and would first recommend performing an EEG (electroencephalography) and a brain MRI to exclude any possible brain lesions that may lead to seizures. As seizures are persistent, I would recommend starting antiepileptic drugs. In this regard, considering your age, and the fact that you are overweight, I would suggest starting low dose Levetiracetam or Carbamazepine.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests and treatment options. I hope you will find this answer helpful. I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need.

MRI brain, and EEG.

|