Q. Is it normal to have cobblestone appearance at the back of throat after tonsillectomy?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I had tonsillectomy about a month ago. I had been healing but I am concerned about my healing process. My uvula has gotten smaller and has strange color plus I see cobblestone at the back of throat and blue or dark red color surrounding soft palate. And there are visible blue or red blood vessels everywhere around the palate and arch.

#

All these are normal after tonsillectomy surgery. I will suggest some steps to relieve some of the symptoms you are facing. Gargles with Benzydamine mouth wash diluted in water few times daily will help soothe the area and relieve pain. You may also take Tylenol for a few days for the pain relief. To relieve inflammation (the engorged blood vessels and cobblestone formation) you can take a combination of Trypsin Chymotrypsin Bromelain Rutopside. This medicine will relieve inflammatory cells and products from the area. Cobblestone formation is normal after the surgery.

Regarding the reduced length of the uvula and the scarring on the palate, I would say, they are due to bad surgical technique. We carefully dissect the tonsil out of the pillars so that there is nil scarring of pillars and change to the uvula. We use a coblator for the purpose that minimizes bleeding and postoperative pain.

|