Q. Is it normal to have cobblestone appearance at the back of throat after tonsillectomy?

I had tonsillectomy about a month ago. I had been healing but I am concerned about my healing process. My uvula has gotten smaller and has strange color plus I see cobblestone at the back of throat and blue or dark red color surrounding soft palate. And there are visible blue or red blood vessels everywhere around the palate and arch.

#

All these are normal after tonsillectomy surgery. I will suggest some steps to relieve some of the symptoms you are facing. Gargles with Benzydamine mouth wash diluted in water few times daily will help soothe the area and relieve pain. You may also take Tylenol for a few days for the pain relief. To relieve inflammation (the engorged blood vessels and cobblestone formation) you can take a combination of Trypsin Chymotrypsin Bromelain Rutopside. This medicine will relieve inflammatory cells and products from the area. Cobblestone formation is normal after the surgery.

Regarding the reduced length of the uvula and the scarring on the palate, I would say, they are due to bad surgical technique. We carefully dissect the tonsil out of the pillars so that there is nil scarring of pillars and change to the uvula. We use a coblator for the purpose that minimizes bleeding and postoperative pain.

| 

How can the formation of tonsil stones be prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from tonsil stones and I am very much irritated by them. Can you please tell me how to cure them and how to prevent them? I have not taken any medicines until now.  Read Full »

Why do I have minor joint pain and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, About six weeks ago, I started having pain in my right index finger. It was mainly when I used my mouse. A few days after, both of my hands started hurting. It was mainly in my right-hand joints, but also in other parts of the hand too. I got scared that I got rheumatoid arthritis. I read...  Read Full »

What can I do to relieve the ear pain that appeared after I used ear scoop?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 18 years old. Last night I used an ear scoop and scratched the inside of my ear too hard. I saw a little blood. It was a little sore, but now 24 hours later there is an unbearable pain in that ear. I could not sleep. I cannot access to the hospital until late tomorrow. Can I do anyth...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»