Q. My tonsil stones are recurring even after using Augmentin. Why?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2019

I have recurring tonsil stones and was on Augmentin for two weeks. But it did not help. I feel like a tonsillectomy is overdue smelly when I swab with a cotton pick. Please help.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Recurrent tonsil stones not relieved by antibiotics is an indication for tonsillectomy. It is a safe surgery with definite benefits. The surgeon may use the coablation technique, which causes the least post-operative pain and minimal bleeding. For now, complete the course of antibiotics, take some anti-inflammatory medicines like Chymoral Forte or Disperzyme in an empty stomach and also do betadine gargles. Once the acute episode is resolved, you may review it with your ENT for surgery. Revert to me if you require further support on this.

After a tonsillectomy, why do I have cobblestone appearance in the throat?

Query: Hello doctor, I had tonsillectomy about a month ago. I had been healing but I am concerned about my healing process. My uvula has gotten smaller and has strange color plus I see cobblestone at the back of throat and blue or dark red color surrounding soft palate. And there are visible blue or red b...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All these are normal after tonsillectomy surgery. I will suggest some steps to relieve some of the symptoms you are facing. Gargles with Benzydamine mouth wash diluted in water few times daily will help soothe the area and relieve pain. You may also take Tylenol for a f...  Read Full

Can tonsil stones cause an altered sense of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have tonsil stones that do not occur every day but at a rate of three to four a week. Also, I notice it does not take much for me to get hoarse and my voice cracks for no reason when talking. I have also noticed that my sense of smell is off.  Read Full >>

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tonsil stones are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a smell di...  Read Full

How to clean tonsils with Waterpik?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having an issue with one of my tonsils (or around one of my tonsils). I have dealt with tonsil stones for years, and have typically used my finger or Waterpik to remove them. Last Saturday, I discovered some tonsil stones and used my finger to remove them. Upon not getting everything...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read every detail you wrote. I must commend you for the detailed and chronological description of your problem. Like you predicted, it does not appear like stones. It is infected tons...  Read Full