Q. I suffer from recurrent tonsillitis and tonsil stones with pus. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. Shyam Kalyan N
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 07, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have been suffering from recurring tonsillitis since I was a child. I was told at one point that if I was to be diagnosed with tonsillitis again, I would have to schedule to get my tonsils removed. However, I have had it quite a few times since. I also suffer from frequent tonsil stones accompanied by pus, or just pus all together. It is really been a bother as I am becoming older and I am tired of frequent emergency room visits ending in the same treatment.

The pain and severe swelling have been going on for two days now. My right tonsil, however, always appears to be swollen. I also have mucous in my nose that is draining from the back. Nothing is coming from my nostrils themselves. I am taking over the counter Chloraseptic for the pain, but it is not working. Along with vitamin C packs and cough drops. I visited my previous doctors a few months ago, they gave me a shot of penicillins and two other shots that I cannot remember.



Welcome to

Your tonsils are definitely infected. You need a course of antibiotics, decongestants, pain killers and good gargles. Additionally, we need to have a look at your nose to rule out if there is any rhinitis or sinusitis that is triggering the tonsil infections repeatedly.

I would suggest a Z Pak 500 mg for you take it for five days one tablet once daily. If that is not there get Claritin. Take Sudafed and Deslor (Desloratadine) once a day. Get Benzydamine gargles and mix it with water and gargle thrice. Take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) as per pain. Since you are saying you got thick post nasal drip I would suggest some mucolytic and nose drops as well take it for four days. Otrivin and Mycinex would do. Once the current infection subsides I would want you to get a nasal endoscopy and CT (computed tomography) scan of nose and PNS (paranasal sinus) to rule out sinonasal problems. Do revert back for further help and guidance.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have tonsil stones and an altered sense of smell. Please help.

.. are a sign of chronic tonsillitis. They occur due to the accumulation of food debris in the tonsil crevices. This may be due to a tonsil infection or due to an infection from the nose. As you have mentioned that your voice cracks and there is a ...   Read full

I have tonsillitis, and it pains while swallowing and talking. How to ease the pain?

.. are having acute tonsillitis, you can take the following medications. You can take tablet Amoxiclav 625 mg (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) three times a day for seven days. You can take tablet Paracetamol 500 mg with Ibuprofen 400 mg one tablet...   Read full

What causes recurrent tonsillitis?

.. is at the entrance of your pharynx. So it traps most of the bacteria and viruses. So pharyngitis including tonsilitis could be due to streptococcus like bacteria or influenza like viral infection. The symptomatic management need to be done with de...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.