Q. I suffer from recurrent tonsillitis and tonsil stones with pus. What to do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 07, 2019

I have been suffering from recurring tonsillitis since I was a child. I was told at one point that if I was to be diagnosed with tonsillitis again, I would have to schedule to get my tonsils removed. However, I have had it quite a few times since. I also suffer from frequent tonsil stones accompanied by pus, or just pus all together. It is really been a bother as I am becoming older and I am tired of frequent emergency room visits ending in the same treatment.

The pain and severe swelling have been going on for two days now. My right tonsil, however, always appears to be swollen. I also have mucous in my nose that is draining from the back. Nothing is coming from my nostrils themselves. I am taking over the counter Chloraseptic for the pain, but it is not working. Along with vitamin C packs and cough drops. I visited my previous doctors a few months ago, they gave me a shot of penicillins and two other shots that I cannot remember.

#

Your tonsils are definitely infected. You need a course of antibiotics, decongestants, pain killers and good gargles. Additionally, we need to have a look at your nose to rule out if there is any rhinitis or sinusitis that is triggering the tonsil infections repeatedly.

I would suggest a Z Pak 500 mg for you take it for five days one tablet once daily. If that is not there get Claritin. Take Sudafed and Deslor (Desloratadine) once a day. Get Benzydamine gargles and mix it with water and gargle thrice. Take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) as per pain. Since you are saying you got thick post nasal drip I would suggest some mucolytic and nose drops as well take it for four days. Otrivin and Mycinex would do. Once the current infection subsides I would want you to get a nasal endoscopy and CT (computed tomography) scan of nose and PNS (paranasal sinus) to rule out sinonasal problems. Do revert back for further help and guidance.

|