Q. What is the treatment for coughing fits and severe tonsillitis?

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy
Published on Apr 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I am a 18 year old female, who is suffering from coughing fits and severe tonsillitis. The coughing fits only come when I am lying down, and I bring up mucus which kills my throat.

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy

General Medicine HIV/AIDS Specialist Internal Medicine
#

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.

• Tonsillitis can be caused by certain viruses or bacteria. The family of bacteria which typically causes tonsillitis are called streptococci. Streptococcus is also one of the most common and important causes of tonsillitis, bronchitis, and pneumonia. It is therefore not uncommon for bacterial tonsillitis to progress to bronchitis or pneumonia if not treated effectively.
  • The tonsils form part of the pharynx (throat) and often cause severe inflammation in the surrounding throat and vocal cords, leading to throat irritation and coughing. The infection can however like I mentioned, easily spread to the lower airway, causing airway inflammation and obstruction leading to coughing fits.
  • I strongly recommend you see a trusted physician as soon as you can so that you can be examined and antibiotics can be prescribed. If the cause of your tonsillitis is is bacterial, then steroid inhaler pumps in conjunction with mucolytics (medications which loosen mucous and phlegm) can also be used to open airways and calm coughing fits.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My cough lasted only for a week and the doctor says it is tuberculosis.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, There is parenchymal infiltrate on the right upper lobe of my lung. My doctor said that I have a ptb3, which looks like a serious stage of tuberculosis. I was shocked because I never had a cough since September. Before the month of September, my cough lasted only for a week and then su...  Read Full »

How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an IV treatment for fever.  I took four doses of Monocef 1 gm. My fever is gone, and I am feeling better. I still have a sore throat, and there is a lot of mucus generated. The mucus is transparent. How do I confirm that I have got a viral or bacterial infection? Since my fe...  Read Full »

Using betnelan tablet for asthma. What are the side effects of it?

Query: Dear Doctor, In the last 6 years, I am using Betnelan tablet for asthma. I want to know the side effects of it. Age 28 years, m, height: 170cm, weight 44kg.  Read Full »