Q. I had tonsillitis for the past ten years, and now I have a white nodule. Please help.

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

I have a small white nodule on my right tonsil. I have often suffered from tonsillitis and have had an enlarged right tonsil for more than ten years. It is painless and appears suddenly. I have no other symptoms. Please help.

#

Your history and picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) show either white pus in the tonsillar crypt, tonsillolith (formed by deposition of food debris or dead cell or calcium deposition), or keratosis. You do not have to worry. For now, I suggest gargling with warm salt water.

Thank you doctor.

It first appeared as a small purplish growth and then turned white. It is a fleshy growth that is attached. It seems to be kind of a skin tag. Should I not worry? Please advise.

#

As per the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), I see right-sided tonsillar hypertrophy with a whitish spot. It does not seem to be abnormal growth. As you have had unilateral tonsillar hypertrophy for the past with no change in size, I have not recommended you to do a CT (computerized tomography) scan or biopsy. In the case of unilateral hypertrophy, it is always better to rule out malignancy.

If you think it is a fleshy growth, it is better to examine yourself by an ENT (ear, nose, throat) surgeon.

|