Q. I have enlarged tonsils with lump and fever. What could it be?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Three weeks ago, I noticed my left tonsil seems slightly enlarged and I have a lump with white head right behind it. A little background for the past six months, I have been experiencing daily low fevers and severe night sweats which are undiagnosed. My PCP told me it was just a tonsil stone but I am almost positive it is not. It looks nothing like any that I have seen in my research. I would love to submit a photo for a second opinion. I will eventually make it to an ENT if needed but with the coronavirus, I would like to wait if it is nothing to worry about.

Most labs (done prior to lump) looked normal except I had a positive ana with a low titer 1:40. My CRP was considered normal but 5.1 which says I am high risk for heart disease. I am a pretty active, healthy 34-year-old so while considered normal, it seems off to me. Chest x-ray looked normal. TB test negative.

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You are right it is not a tonsillolith, it is a tonsillar cyst. Indeed, it is nothing to worry about and such a small may not even need any treatment. Furthermore, your tonsils are not that grossly enlarged or even congested to give you the spikes of fever. Low-grade fevers and night sweats need to be evaluated for other more important causes like tuberculosis. Have you done any serological tests and baseline blood tests?

| 

I have lots of bloodwork. All are normal expect ANA was positive 1:40 titer and CPR was considered normal but high risk for heart disease at 5.1 and I am a pretty active, healthy 34-year-old. TB was negative. I do not think I have had any serological tests. I have a rheumatologist appointment in a month or so. Whether my prior symptoms and the swollen throat and cyst could be related to lymphoma?

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Well, your doctor must be suspecting a connective tissue disorder or a systemic vasculitis syndrome. This is an important cause of fever of unknown origin with generalized body aches. Your rheumatologist will guide you in a better way in this regard. What can assure you is that your tonsils do not appear to me be any grossly enlarged to suspect lymphoma. Tonsillar cysts are fairly common and you do not need to worry. Your tonsillar morphology is normal and they are not grossly enlarged.

Further, it is wise to go for serological tests like HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), Anti HBS Ag (hepatitis B surface antigen) and Anti HCV (hepatitis C virus). Even they can present with fever of unknown origin.

| 

Apart from Albuterol, what can I do to cure chronic bronchitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I get sick every two-three months. My doctor diagnosed me with chronic bronchitis about a year ago. I get the same symptoms every time the illness flairs up again. The symptoms consist of a snotty nose, fever, shaking, weak, shortness of breath and a persistent horrible cough. I also ...  Read Full »

Why do I have a bloody spot near the back of my throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having some issues with my throat from the past couple of months. I feel a tightness in the neck. I do not have a runny nose, but I have post-nasal drip and lots of phlegm or mucus in the mornings. I feel like I need to clear my throat a lot. The symptoms seemed to go away fo...  Read Full »

When Should Tonsils Be Removed in Adults?

Article Overview: Tonsils are removed in cases of sleep apnea or recurrent episodes of tonsillitis. Learn about the indications, best methods, and complications of tonsillectomy. Read Article

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Tonsillectomy is one of the most popular operations in the otorhinolaryngology field. The most frequently asked questions about tonsillectomy are: When is tonsillectomy indicated? Does tonsillectomy affect our immunity? What is the best method for tonsillectomy? What are tonsillectomy complications...  Read Article