Q. I have tonsillitis. What is the bump on back side of tongue?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Do you have a question on Tonsillitis or Anti Inflammatory Medications? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 31-year-old female, nonsmoking and non-drinking. I am currently taking antibiotics for a streptococcal throat infection. Originally, Amoxicillin eight days ago but yesterday switched to Azithromycin as strep symptoms had come back (extremely sore throat, white tonsil patches, tonsil swelling). I swabbed positive for strep at the original appointment but yesterday negative on the rapid strep swab (lab cultures pending). Last night I noticed a bump on the back side of my tongue, the same side where the current tonsil swelling or infection is. I only noticed the bump when looking in the mirror at my throat. It is about pea sized and does not hurt other than mild discomfort when I press on it. Can you please advise what this could be and if I should be concerned?