Q. I have tonsillitis. What is the bump on back side of tongue?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
Published on Oct 09, 2018

I am a 31-year-old female, nonsmoking and non-drinking. I am currently taking antibiotics for a streptococcal throat infection. Originally, Amoxicillin eight days ago but yesterday switched to Azithromycin as strep symptoms had come back (extremely sore throat, white tonsil patches, tonsil swelling). I swabbed positive for strep at the original appointment but yesterday negative on the rapid strep swab (lab cultures pending). Last night I noticed a bump on the back side of my tongue, the same side where the current tonsil swelling or infection is. I only noticed the bump when looking in the mirror at my throat. It is about pea sized and does not hurt other than mild discomfort when I press on it. Can you please advise what this could be and if I should be concerned?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

According to your history, we can consider this mass an inflammation. As it is red and slightly tender, and in the same side of your tonsillar inflammation, continue Azithromycin for three days. Add an anti-inflammatory as Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily. Use a mouth gargle for the same three days too.

The important question is when should you worry about it? If it continued to grow, transformed to an ulcer or changes its color, you should visit a surgeon or an otorhinolaryngologist to excise it and send it to be histologically examined.

| 

Why does my testicle hurt after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male. I had unprotected sex last week. It was a three-hour long session and I was a little sore afterward but felt totally fine the next few days. Then, three days ago, I noticed a slight pain in my balls and the discomfort has continued until today. It is most pain...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest granular pharyngitis treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with granular pharyngitis and tonsillitis, but I do not have any post-nasal drip or cold. I have pain while swallowing certain oily and spicy food. What should be the treatment? In the last three months, I have got tonsil infection a couple of times.  Read Full »

What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full »