Q. I have asymmetry of tonsils. Is it due to cancer?

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

My tonsils are not symmetrical. I first noticed just two months ago that my right tonsil looks like a kidney bean with a small hole on top while my left tonsil looks oval in shape with a much larger hole. My right tonsil looks like there is a lump of the bottom of it. I am 28 years old and I smoked for just under 10 years and I have not tested positive for HPV. I do not have any lumps that I can feel, have not lost any weight, do not feel regularly sick. I did have a sore throat a month ago and my left tonsil did feel infected. I did push quite a few tonsil stones from it. I am worried that the asymmetry of my tonsils may be an indicator of cancer.

#

Tonsils are our lymphoid organs which protect us from infections. The shape of tonsil can vary from person to person and asymmetrical shapes are not at all indicators for cancer. The holes you mentioned are called crypts which lodges food particles which can form stones. Hence, regular salt water gargling is advised. A sore throat you had was because of smoking which is a normal phenomenon of a tonsil infection. Hence you need not to worry thinking abnormal shapes of tonsil for cancer which is pretty much normal in all individual. Finally, regular gargling and antibiotic for a sore throat will relieve your problem. If at all tonsils are troubling you a lot, you can get them removed.

| 

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »

Do constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, and swollen neck indicate tonsil cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had sore throats on and off for a couple of years now. One of my tonsils is bigger than the other. I have not been feeling well lately. I get constant sore throats, extreme fatigue, headaches, swollen right side of the neck, some minor difficulty swallowing, a low-grade fever, and...  Read Full »

Why are the tonsils swollen and have white spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old. I have symptoms of swollen tonsils with white spots and bumps on my throat. I went to the urgent care almost two weeks ago, and after running streptococcus and mononucleosis test, they told me that it was more likely viral tonsillitis. I am not experiencing much pain...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»