Q. I feel sore throat and body redness after few days of sex. Are they symptoms of HIV?

Published on Dec 10, 2018

I am 42 years old white male, I had protected intercourse vaginal and anal and unprotected oral sex, vaginal and anal exactly 17 days back. Eight days after I had an itch in my throat that practically made the corner of my mouth pucker for a day or two and lost my appetite. Around the 10th day after I noticed too small funny shaped (not round) pimples on my stomach Then on the 12th or 13th day after I noticed having reddened skin on my face, chest, back, ankles, and hands, at one point my blood pressure was 190/130. Do not know if it is from stressing or not. So now it is the 17th day my skin has lightened up but not completely, my appetite is still gone but I can eat. Sweating occasionally but no fever and my sore throat feels almost gone except for a small restriction in swallowing. Could this be from something besides HIV?

Hematology Pathology
#

You had protected intercourse and so the chance of HIV is less. The mentioned symptoms are not suggestive of HIV. But still, for peace of the mind, it is advisable to investigate with CMIA combo ELISA test for HIV after six weeks of exposure. Your rashes seem to be an allergic reaction. You can be prescribed Levocetirizine for seven days which is anti-allergic medication. Your blood pressure can be raised due to severe anxiety related to HIV thoughts. You have to repeat your blood pressure measurement and if it is persistently elevated above 150 then anti-hypertensive medication need to be prescribed. I suggest you consult a nearby physician for detailed physical examination and discuss all these. You can revert back with throat swab report once done.

| 

I failed to mention that I do have minor swollen glands in my throat also, the red skin occasionally has an itch here and there and the skin is warm. My ears also ring. And I think before my skin turned reddened I had a pain in the back of my left knee for a day. Also, it seems like the redness is on my feet occasionally.

Hematology Pathology
#

You are having swollen glands also additionally apart from above-mentioned symptoms. Your condition can be treated symptomatically with an anti-histaminic drug as mentioned above. Drink lots of water to maintain hydration. Sometimes, viral infection also can lead to the enlarged gland in the neck region. However, if swollen gland does not resolve within a few days, then it is advisable to prescribe an antibiotic and get investigated for infectious mononucleosis. FNAC can be done from enlarged gland if needed. I suggest you to consult the nearby physician for detailed evaluation as mentioned above.

| 

So I possibly have something?

Hematology Pathology
#

You had protected vaginal intercourse. So, I am not suspecting HIV or any other sexually transmitted diseases. But still for peace of mind as I suggested investigate with HIV after six weeks of exposure by CMIA. Infectious mononucleosis should be ruled out if swollen gland or lymph node persist. Meanwhile, the anti-histaminic drug can be prescribed which will help in relieving skin rashes. If urine discharge is present, then get investigated for chlamydia, gonorrhea like STI or else it is not needed as per my opinion. However, it is advisable to consult a nearby physician for detailed examination.

| 

Can you catch the flu from having intercourse?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex with a girl I know. The condom broke while having sex. After 30 minutes, I started having the headache. I was distraught. I took the antibiotics. After two days, I had a cold. Can HIV symptoms appear this fast? Or it was because I took the antibiotics? Or I am just panicking?  Read Full »

I am having urine urgency after sexual intercourse. Please advice.

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I recently had sex that was a bit more rough than normal. Everything seems fine, I have not had cramping, and my IUD seems to still be in place, and the strings are still fine. The IUD is not poking out of my cervix, and, again, it does not hurt or cramp. Thoug...  Read Full »

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now