Q. My sore throat and discomfort while swallowing has not subsided on antibiotics. Why?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 24, 2020

I have a sore throat since this Wednesday. My dad is a doctor and he gave me Augmentin every 12 hours. The pain has not gone yet, but I feel like an object anytime I swallow. It hurts and it feels dry and sore. Just on the left side, it is been a few days but nothing new yet. It hurts everytime I swallow and it feels full and pressured. There is some yellow mucus close to the crypts but cannot understand if it is a stone or infection. I tried to remove possible stones but ended up making my tonsil bleed every time I try to clean possible stones and gargled with salt and water. I am really afraid it is something bad. I am 24 years old.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your tonsil looks infected (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see pus coming out of your tonsil. You complete the course of Augmentin (take it for seven days, 1 gm 12 hourly).

Along with that take plenty of fluids (at room temperature i.e. not very cold and not very hot), do mouth gargles (combination of Chlorhexidine and Benzydamine) three times daily for five days which will soothe your throat as well as remove debris from the crypts. Take proton pump inhibitor (Pantoprazole 40 mg twice daily on empty stomach for a week) and also Paracetamol 650 mg thrice daily for three days.

Do take all the medicines, just Augmentin is not enough. Do not touch your tonsils and do not try to remove the debris with fingers. Also, if possible send more pictures of your throat. I want to see your right tonsil and posterior pharyngeal wall clearly.

| 

Thank you for your kind advice.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You are welcome.

Your both the tonsils as well as posterior pharyngeal wall are infected. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Like you said left tonsil is more infected.

Your posterior pharyngeal wall has granulations which is most commonly secondary to sinusitis. If you have a nose block or frontal headache as well, you can take decongestant nose drops like Xylometazoline ( .1%)or Oxymetazoline ( .5%). Put two drops in each nostril three times daily for five days.

| 

Why do I have a bloody spot near the back of my throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having some issues with my throat from the past couple of months. I feel a tightness in the neck. I do not have a runny nose, but I have post-nasal drip and lots of phlegm or mucus in the mornings. I feel like I need to clear my throat a lot. The symptoms seemed to go away fo...  Read Full »

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »

When Should Tonsils Be Removed in Adults?

Article Overview: Tonsils are removed in cases of sleep apnea or recurrent episodes of tonsillitis. Learn about the indications, best methods, and complications of tonsillectomy. Read Article

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Tonsillectomy is one of the most popular operations in the otorhinolaryngology field. The most frequently asked questions about tonsillectomy are: When is tonsillectomy indicated? Does tonsillectomy affect our immunity? What is the best method for tonsillectomy? What are tonsillectomy complications...  Read Article