Q. What can be done for spongy bleeding gums in a diabetic?

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Aug 12, 2018

My parents are diabetic and living in a village where non-treated water is consumed daily for everything other than drinking which is rich in minerals, algal blooms, dirt, etc. Suggest me a toothpaste which is better considering this kind of locality. Their gums are bleeding and experiencing spongy gums.

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

Welcome to icliniq.om.

Frankly speaking, toothpaste is just an external application, and it does not make any difference based on the brand. Toothpaste does not have any therapeutic effects as portrayed in advertisements.

When you say they have spongy gums that bleed easily, it might be an indication of vitamin C deficiency.

If they do not have any allergies or any other health conditions or medications, they can take a course of Vitamin C 100 mg tablets once a day for one month and see if it helps. If not, please consult a doctor in their locality, who can suggest appropriate treatment after examination. If they have any other health conditions or allergies or if they are taking any other medications, they need to talk to their doctor before starting Vitamin C therapy.

In the meantime, I suggest they use soft toothbrushes.

For more information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full »

Can vitamin C induce periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I am approximately 95 kg weight. I am in need of emergency contraception due to failed birth control. I will be ovulating tomorrow, so I am at a high risk of unwanted pregnancy. I obtained and took a 1.5 mg dose of Levonorgestrel (Plan B pill); however I have...  Read Full »

Amla - a Treasure of Vitamin C

Article Overview: Amla is the one of the most important medicinal plants in the traditional system of medicine. It contains the highest amount of vitamin C and has other nutrients as well. I have discussed the health benefits of amla in this article. Read Article

Dr. Durga Kumari
Nutritionist

The wonder fruit amla (Indian gooseberry) is highly valued by nutritionists and practitioners of indigenous medicine. This is scientifically known as Emblica officinalis or Phyllanthus emblica.  Amla has been held in high esteem in indigenous medicine. It is acidic, diuretic and laxa...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now