Q. When should I dispose the gauze after a tooth have been pulled?

Answered by Dr. Divya Banu M and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Tooth Extraction or Post Extraction Instructions? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Divya Banu M
BDS
Dentistry

After a tooth is extracted, it is advisable to keep the gauze in the site for 30 minutes, in the same position. After 30 minutes, do not spit, take the gauze through your hand and discard. This is to arrest bleeding and help in clot formation by pressure method, and spitting will lead to dislodgement of the clot. So, be careful with splitting (do not do it forcefully) for at least one day. I hope you have got the other instructions from your dentist.

Solution for Tongue Numbness after Tooth Extraction
Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I had a wisdom tooth extraction. Still, I feel tongue numbness. What is the solution?  Read Full »
Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The tongue numbness is caused by nerve injury or irritation at the time of giving local anesthesia before your tooth removal or even due to the closeness of the roots of your tooth to the nerve bundle. However, this is usually transient and there is a gradual recovery of ...  Read Full »

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?
Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full »
Dr. Purva Jingar
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Drink a lot of water and follow the medication prescribed by the dentist. You can use ice in the extracted site to stop the bleeding. If it still continues to bleed, consult your dentist. If it stops, then from the next day, rinse mouth with salt water and turmeric mixt...  Read Full »

Ankylosing Spondylitis
Is having severe leg pain during pregnancy normal?
The pulse rate started to fall after giving Epinephrine in a 4-year-old child. Kindly give your opinion.

Also Read Answers From