Q. Is it safe to pull out the mobile tooth in a 5-year-old?

Dr. Rakshana Devi

My 5-year-old daughter had a very loose tooth two days ago. It was barely hanging on and getting in the way of her eating. We pulled the tooth out, and she said it hurt a little even though it was barely attached. There is now a tiny piece of tissue sticking up out of the hole where her tooth was. The redness of it is going away, but the tissue is still there. It is still hurting a little. Is this something I should be concerned about, or will it eventually go away?

Thanks.

#

I saw the pictures attached (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

It is important to confirm that you have pulled the entire tooth. If yes, then I advise you to wait for three days and follow general instructions like having a soft diet, bland foot, avoiding hot drinks, doing gentle brushing, chew back, not spit saliva, and not touching the socket with tongue or finger. Need not take any painkillers unnecessarily. Do not worry; the healing is slow for your daughter.

Take care.

|