Total Thyroidectomy

Is adenoma related to thyroid cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, Before 20 years I had total thyroidectomy for follicular and papillary thyroid cancer. I also had three surgeries to remove benign lymph nodes. My levels had been pretty steady until the last one and a half year. I am post menopausal. I am now with the highest TSH value of 13.1. I did ...  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following total thyroidectomy, you will be kept on lifelong thyroid replacement therapy and if the therapy is inadequate TSH levels will rise. As long-term monitoring and to check the recurrence, the measurement of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), thyroglobulin and ant...  Read Full »

Is thyroidectomy recommended for inconclusive thyroid cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, A year ago, I got a biopsy for two nodules in thyroid. The result for one was benign and the other inconclusive. This year I went back to a different doctor to redo my indeterminate biopsy. She advised me do for both again, because through ultrasound they look angry or vicious. In my righ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In this situation the most important fact would be to know whether there is a family history of thyroid cancer and which type. Not all thyroid cancers are the same; some are more aggressive that the others. Sorry, I was still trying to understand if the nodules are in ...  Read Full »

How is papillary thyroid carcinoma treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom has thyroid papillary carcinoma. Five months back she got a surgery in both sides of her thyroid gland. What is the best treatment for this? Please guide.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your mother's state. The protocol of treatment of papillary carcinoma of thyroid is total thyroidectomy followed by therapeutic radioactive Iodine therapy. Radioactive Iodine is given to detect and eradicate any residual tumor left after surgery. Resi...  Read Full »

Why do I feel tired, have insomnia, and weight gain after getting thyroid glands removed?

Query: Hello doctor, I had both my thyroid glands removed eight years ago, and a small amount was left (in the size of half of my small nail). Since then, I am getting my blood test done every year, which comes back normal. I do not understand this as everybody needs two thyroid glands to work properly, an...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not the size of the thyroid gland, but it is the function that matters. In most of the thyroid gland removal, the left over gland will start hyper functioning and hence will take over the body function. So, if your blood work is normal means that a small part...  Read Full »

I am on Levothyroxine after thyroidectomy and it is driving me nuts. Is this side effect of Levothyroxine?

Query: Hello doctor,I recently had a complete thyroidectomy, and the lymph nodes around the thyroid removed because I was diagnosed with medullary carcinoma of the left nodule of my thyroid. I am now on Levothyroxine 135 mg, and it is driving me nuts. I have experiencing nervousness, anxiety, no sleep, str...  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. You need to take Levothyroxine for the rest of your life regularly because our body daily needs this hormone for various functions like metabolism etc. However, along with that you can use some herbal products which can help you up to some extent a...  Read Full »

Why is my TSH extremely low?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and maintained on NDT. All the tests are within the normal range although borderline till now. My result shows extremely low TSH 0.036 and FT4 0.28 and extremely high FT3 11. My cortisol and ACTH are also extremely low. My TPO is less than 1...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your answer is present in your question itself Your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is extremely low and hence it would mean a hyperthyroidism. However, radioactive Thyroxine uptake is a test that would be better to be performed to check the performance of the gland. Al...  Read Full »

Can a woman without thyroid gland conceive and live a normal life?

Query: Hi doctor,Can I marry a woman without a thyroid gland? She has a nodule in her left lobe of thyroid gland but after total thyroidectomy, there was no cancer. I am tensed because she has no thyroid gland. The surgeon said it is not a matter but some doctors say there will be a complication in future....  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your history, the queries you have are usual and answers are yes, she can live quite a normal life provided she takes the supplement Eltroxin (Levothyroxine) timely and according to the prescription. Yes, she can conceive but for further information, you shou...  Read Full »

What is cauterized tumor?

Query: Hi doctor, Could you answer from my pathology report whether the tumor encapsulated or nonencapsulated? Does it show positive margin or free margin? Could you explain me the findings in detail? Thanks in advance.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hope this report finds you in good health. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: In the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is no mention of an encapsulation. Usually in classical papillary carcinoma as you had, there is no capsule...  Read Full »

Why are there muscle cramps after having had total thyroidectomy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had total thyroidectomy three months ago. I have been on 100 mcg Levothyroxine since day one. I feel always cold, body hair would shed more than normal, muscle cramps occur fairly easily, and low energy levels. I have had Graves disease in the past. My most recent blood work showed...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have well-controlled thyroid function test. In view of the hair fall and muscle cramps, I would suggest that you have your vitamin D level tested. I suggest you take tablet Neurobion Forte ...  Read Full »

I have a benign multinodular goiter. Is there a need for thyroidectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been recently diagnosed with multinodular goiter and have done FNAC, which turned to be benign. Is there any other way to get rid of the enlargement of the goiter and the nodules? My thyroid is full of them ranging from 0.5 to 0.9 mm. What should I do? I feel lost, and I have a con...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can I see the FNAC (fine needle aspiration), and ultrasound of the thyroid reports? Do you have a family history of thyroid illness? Revert with more information to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist  Read Full »