Q. I have a benign multinodular goiter. Is there a need for thyroidectomy?

Dr. Swaraj S W

I have been recently diagnosed with multinodular goiter and have done FNAC, which turned to be benign. Is there any other way to get rid of the enlargement of the goiter and the nodules? My thyroid is full of them ranging from 0.5 to 0.9 mm. What should I do? I feel lost, and I have a continuous feeling of unbalance and dizziness, even though my thyroid is working well and producing normal hormones. Why is it so?

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• Can I see the FNAC (fine needle aspiration), and ultrasound of the thyroid reports?
  • Do you have a family history of thyroid illness?

Revert with more information to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Thank you for replying. I have attached my reports. I do not have any family history of thyroid disease.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I have gone through all the reports that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I do not see any major worry. It looks like you are on the heavier side, and losing some weight will sure help with all your symptoms.
  • I suggest you try taking Vitamin D powder once a week for ten weeks.
  • For dizziness, you need do some neck exercises, and I would also suggest you consult an ENT specialist.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Thank you for your prompt reply. Is there no need for thyroidectomy?

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• The thyroid nodules size are less than 1 cm and they are benign, so why do you want surgery? Surgery is indicated for big sized nodules only.
  • Has your doctor suggested surgery?

| 

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes, my endocrinologist suggested surgery for three nodules.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• I have six years of endocrinology practice to back my knowledge. The only reason why your doctor suggested surgery is because of microcalcifications.
  • But even then I would wait for another three months and repeat an ultrasound and FNAC, before taking the decision to go ahead for a thyroid surgery.
  • Can I talk to your doctor? 

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Why am I not able to lose weight even after dieting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I started dieting early last year. But it seems like my weight plateaued. I have been eating a low carb diet during weekdays and on Sundays, I eat the carbs that I want to eat. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes sleep late. I have been on this schedule f...  Read Full »

My thyroid medicine makes me sick. Should it be changed?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been diagnosed hypothyroid. I am currently taking WP Thyroid. I have taken Armour and Nature-thyroid. They all make me sick to my stomach. I tried adding generic T3 and it made my symptoms worse, that is, hair loss, cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue, GERD, and constipatio...  Read Full »

My thyroids are enlarged and asymmetrical. Should I visit an endocrinologist?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old woman, who in the last six months began to experience thyroid symptoms. I am in the process of looking for a new physician, but I live in a very remote area with a significant shortage of medical professionals, so I am in a lot of ways on my own here. My mother had h...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now