Q. Why is my TSH value high after five years of my thyroid surgery?

Dr. Thiyagarajan. T

I underwent surgery on my thyroid glands five years back and taking tablet Thyronorm 100 mcg regularly. When I did a thyroid function test, and my TSH values are high. I had the same issue 18 months back.

Kindly help.

#

I suggest taking tablet Thyronorm (Thyroxine) 112 mcg daily (You can take it as 100 mcg + 12.5 mcg). Repeat TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and FT4 (free thyroxine) after six weeks.

I would like to know a few things:

1) Do you take the tablet daily without failing in the morning on an empty stomach and not eating or drinking coffee or tea for the next one hour?

2) Did you have a total thyroidectomy (removal of whole thyroid gland) or partial (one side only)?

3) Why was the operation done? Was it a hyperthyroid or a nodule? Was the lesion benign or malignant?

Thanks.

Thank you for your kind reply.

My response is

1) Yes, I take them regularly.

2) It was a total thyroidectomy.

3) The operation was for a multinodular gland, not a malignancy.

I missed asking whether I can vaccinate for COVID? It is scheduled for tomorrow.

Thanks.

#

Thank you for the response

My recommendation stands the same, take tablet Thyronorm 112 mcg and recheck TSH and FT4 in six weeks.

Based on your weight, you may need 125 mcg of Thyroxine, but let us wait and recheck in six weeks and decide.

Yes, you can get the COVID vaccine.

Thanks.

|