Q. Is there any risk from short-term exposure to ethanol?

Dr. Sugandh Garg
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2021

I want to know if there is a short-term health risk due to the inhalation of 70 % ethanol and isopropyl alcohol. I do not mean the hand wash, but the pure liquid, which I use for electronic repairing and cleaning. I almost always use an organic vapor mask or gas mask. If I work long hours, I use activated-carbon filter to purify the air. But, I sometimes think I am over cautious, and that makes people around me more scared of working with it. If I just want to use the ethanol to clean something for two to five minutes, should I still need to use the mask? I am only talking about inhalation as I always use gloves and eye protection.

#

• An occasional brief exposure of not more than two minutes, as you mentioned, can be done without a mask. However, it is always recommended to use protection when dealing with poisonous gases, especially when you are working in that environment regularly.

For more information consult a toxicologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/toxicologist

|