Transient Ischemic Attack

What could be the reason for sudden inability to recollect things for some time?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having blood pressure and diabetes. Currently, I am using Triolmezest 40 mg and Starpress XL 25 mg for blood pressure and Glimestar-M1 for diabetes. All levels are normal including lipid, echo, HbA1c, etc. Two days back, all of a sudden, my neck started paining and there was a bl...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you are a diabetic and hypertensive, in such a case I would like to evaluate you for the possibility of transient ischemic stroke (TIA). I would recommend an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) brain and a color Doppler. If all results are normal, then this coul...  Read Full »

How severe is the brain stroke based on CT reports?

Query: Hello doctor, This query is for my grandmother. She is hospitalized and the doctor is saying some brain stroke. She is in conservative medical management. CT scan and other investigations are done. Sharing the reports here. Please let me know how severe is this? What should be the treatment at pres...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakashkumar P Bhatt

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your grandmother, 85 years old, she is admitted to a local hospital with symptoms of stroke as suggested to you by your doctor. I saw her CT scan which shows minor ischemic changes in her brain (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which means old blood c...  Read Full »

I am suffering from weakness six years after menopause. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been in menopause for 6 years now. Over three months I have been having bouts of weakness in shoulders, arms and sides of stomach. I feel very weak and strange. I do not feel dizzy. Sometimes it starts with a hot flash. Or else I will stay awake with this terrible feeling and will ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the details provided by you. All investigations are normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity) such as hemoglobin levels, non-diabetic, with normal resting EKG. So, these are not issue in your case. However, the following are the possib...  Read Full »

What is the cause of my recurrent strokes and TIA?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 65 year old female with hypercoagulation. What is the root cause of hypercoagulation and can it be treated so the condition goes away? My fibrinogen, antithrombin III, and D Dimer are elevated and my TEG platelet mapping shows hypercoagulation. I am taking Coumadin 5 mg per day. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Smrita Singh

Pathologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your elevated antithrombin 3 and D-dimer levels are a direct consequence of the stroke you suffered and the many TIAs. High fibrinogen levels are associated with an increased incidence of blood clots. The treatment that you are receiving currently is to prevent the ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest treatment for someone who had TIA for two hours.

Query: Hello doctor, My father had a TIA for two hours nearly four months ago where he could not understand what was going around him and had some difficulties with walking. He was released from the hospital after five days. Before this, he had a fever. His CRP level was also 2.328 and he was taking Atorv...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. TIA (transient ischemic attack) for more than 60 minutes in a hypertensive and diabetic patient is a very serious sign that could lead to a stroke. I suggest you control your blood pressure and blood glucose with medications with regular followup. I suggest you tak...  Read Full »

Are my mother's symptoms indicative of a stroke or something serious?

Query: Hi doctor, My 58 years old mother is under treatment for hypothyroidism, hypertension, osteoarthritis of knee joints, and mild anemia. Her hemoglobin is 10.5 to 11.0 g/dL. She is currently on the following medicines, Eltroxin 50 mcg, Olmezest 20 mg, Gemcal D3, Uprise XT, and Folvite. Six months back...  Read Full »

Dr. Shivam Om Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your question. You have described your mother's symptoms very well. The "reeling in the head and shaking" with change is position or posture is a typical symptom of orthostatic hypotension. There is an easy bedside test that you could also perform. Check blo...  Read Full »

Though the scan report was normal, the patient was treated for CVA. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,The patient is a 79 year old male with a history of fall. CT and laboratory results showed NAD. But, the patient was treated for CVA. Now, the patient complains of numbness or paresis below waist. What would be the best option now?  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. In my view, it is possible that the patient suffered TIA (transient ischemic attack) resulting in a fall and the vascular event was not detected on CT scan. I mean to say that although according to CT he does not need treatm...  Read Full »