Q. I have tremors in left hand. Is it rubral syndrome or muscle weakness?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

I have tremors on my left hand. I am on Amantrel 100 mg tds, Frisium 30 mg and Propranolol 40 mg. I have been through two stents in my heart, but I have no myocardial infarction. I am on beta blockers Valent 40mg od and Retorlix 5 mg od. My neurologist says this as Rubral syndrome and my very senior physician said this is more likely to be muscle weakness because through a strict regime I have come down to 99 kg from 140 kg in the past 19 months. I would like to slowly discontinue Frisium because it makes me drowsy. My question is, should I taper one medicine after another just to see what works best? The physician told me to stop all medication completely which I do not think as a great idea. Can you please help?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I understand your concerns. Let me try to help you.

• Muscle weakness will not cause unilateral tremors (involving one side). May be the tremors will start in one hand on first day, but within a week you will have tremors in both hands. So, this is not due to muscle weakness.
  • I would suggest that you stop Frisium (Clobazam) first to solve your drowsiness.

Rubral Tremors (Slow tremors at rest).

1. Parkinson's disease
2. Parkinson-plus disorders (group of neurodegenerative disorders)

Parkinson's disease.

Continue tablet Amantrel (Amantadine).

Do daily morning and evening 45 minutes of walk.

Revert back after two weeks to a neurologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I was seen in the hospital by a CDC doctor and was told I needed to see him a month after I got out of the hospital. I saw him and asked him what I had, and got no answer what so ev...  Read Full »

Is it possible to identify Parkinson's disease without any test?

Query: Hi doctor, I am writing this is for my father. He is 74 years old. Now, he was diagnosed to have Parkinson’s disease. The doctor just examined and said that this is Parkinson's. Is it possible to identify without going for any tests? Will Parkinson lead to death? Is coffee better for Parkinson’s...  Read Full »