Trigeminal Neuralgia

What can cause head and ear pain on the same side for a month?

Query: Ear ache/ pressure. Headache on same side. Pain when I wash that side of my face near my ear for almost a month.  Read Full »

Dr. Mahendra Thakre

Answer: Hi, I hope your doing well. I understood your concern regarding headaches. I learn that you're having a headache and earaches on same side. Also, it is more when you wash your face. I like to know the nature of pain whether its electric shock-like, whether its comes and go or it's dull boring contin...  Read Full »

What can cause episodes of dizziness and electric shocks in the head?

Query: am a 37 year old Male who Has been getting bouts of dizziness as well as what can only be described as electric shocks in my head. There has also been what feels like a nerve twitch in my temple. I have also found that my reaction time is a little slower. I have gone for cardiac screening which invo...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: hello! Welcome to icliniq! I understand your concern and would explain that the dizzy boots could be caused by an inner ear disorder (including Positional paroxysmal benign vertigo), which shows normal MRI. The electric shock feeling in your head, could be related to Trigeminal neuralgia, ...  Read Full »

I always have a dull unilateral headache. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Three weeks ago, I had headache in late night. I managed to sleep, but it was still there in the morning. It was unilateral headache on the left side of my head. Pain is in my temporal area which sometimes radiates across my cheek and even down my jaw, as well as on the top left of my...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. My main concern here would be trigeminal cephalgia, the most common being trigeminal neuralgia. Trigeminal neuralgia is a sharp shooting unilateral headache that becomes extremely worse with nerve irritation that could be caused by shaving, brushing (hair or teeth...  Read Full »

Is it possible for brain stem tumors to cause trigeminal nerve?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old female. I am healthy, and my routine blood studies are fine. But recently, I experience cramps in my left hand and occasional numbness in the left side of my face. Also one day, I felt a strong toothache on my right side, so I went to a dentist, who told me there w...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I would like to assure you that the none of the described symptoms in your post is indicative of brain tumor. It will not be wrong to say that what you are experiencing is a manifestation of benign disorde...  Read Full »

I am suffering from sinusitis and it is getting worse. What is the cause and treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I have suffered from sinusitis for the last five years. I used to live in a house that had mould issues, and I am not sure if this brought on the sinusitis. I have been using Avamys nasal spray and Texa allergy tablets. For the last three weeks, I have developed a new symptom. I am hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

ENT Otolaryngologist, Allergy Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly I will brief you on what you are suffering with, 1) You have an allergy, which is a disease in your blood to which your body reacts to foreign materials, and the symptoms are shown as sneezing, different in breathing, nasal discharge, watering of eyes, and t...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in my ear when I chew?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old unmarried male. I am getting very sharp and heavy pain in left ear side, inside center part of the ear, whenever I chew or eat food. This was started 4 days back. But, it was not that much noticeable and today morning it has increased. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ear pain could be either due to a dental problem or nerve problem, a condition called trigeminal neuralgia. If it is dental problem it has to be addressed by a dentist. The treatment is either tooth extraction or a root canal treatment. Hence, first kindly get exa...  Read Full »

My MRI is normal, but I have severe headaches. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old and have been experiencing pain for almost a year. I have developed anxiety and at times lead to panic attacks. My doctor put me on Sertraline 25 mg. I took it once and never again. After this, I experienced weird symptoms with my head. I feel an electric shock like ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand most of your symptoms. You said constant nerve pain in the right side of your head on one spot. I would like to know the spot exactly. The best would be if you can attach a line diagram of human head and mark the area on it to avoid confusion. The rest of your...  Read Full »

What causes left-sided headache?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a left-sided unilateral headache for the last four weeks. The pain varies in place, but it is always centered on my left temporal area. Pain can be on the top of my head, cheek, side of jaw and even chin at times. I have also had momentary ear pain, which is a brief one second ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for such a detailed query. Let us break down your symptoms one by one: Regarding left sided temporal headache, broadly it is a little unlikely for a benign tension headache to be unilateral: mostly it is bilateral and band like. My big differential would be ...  Read Full »

Does numbness, burning and tingling sensation on face mean trigeminal neuralgia?

Query: Hello doctor, Three and a half months ago I started with numbness, burning and tingling on the left side of my face. I had been very sick with a chest cold. One week later I had blisters on my upper left palate, I went to the doctor and she said definitely shingles. Now l never had any pain or sens...  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should know that trigeminal neuralgia is a common complication of shingles or herpes infection. As blisters appeared the first time, it means that the herpes infection was present (probably HSV1 (herpes simplex virus, which is typical in this region). It is quite...  Read Full »

My mom was treated for trigeminal neuralgia, with no relief. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, My 58 year old mother has a history of trigeminal neuralgia from the past four years. She was initially treated with Carbamazepine, but she had a severe allergic reaction, due to which it was stopped. Oxcarbazepine was tried, and it caused allergy too. Pregabalin, phenytoin, and sod...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have tried all the possible treatments. I would suggest trying a medicine known as Tapentadol at doses of 50 mg twice daily, along with Gabapentin 600 mg per day. Consider radiofrequency ablation or alcohol injection into the nerve again, if no relief is ob...  Read Full »