Q. For two weeks, I get bouts of dizziness and electric shocks in the head. What could it be?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2021

I am a 37-year-old male. I am getting bouts of dizziness as an electric shock in my head. I have some nerve twitch in my temple. I have done some screening tests such as stress echo, blood test, and holter monitor. All the results came back normal. My doctor referred me to an ENT specialist and he advised me to do an MRI of the brain and ear. The ENT specialist told me to check my vision and vitiligo. The eye result came back with a result of my eye movement out of coordination. They told me that they are consistent with central lesions. What is causing brain zaps with spermatic dizziness in me? What is called a central lesion?

Does the central lesion indicate a degenerative disease? Does it lower my life expectancy? Is it curable or reversible? I have these symptoms for two years. They come and go and last from three minutes to two hours. I have some ringing in my ears lasting for a week. Is this a risk for stroke? What are the other risks? Currently, I am having brain zap sensations around 90 times a day. From the last week, I am getting them often. I have sporadic dizzy spells lasting from two minutes to ten hours with electric shocks, pulse pressure feeling, and ringing in my ears for the last two weeks. I do not have any hearing loss. I can watch television and have a conversation without a problem. What is the cause?

#

I understand your concern. Dizzy boots are caused due to inner ear disorders including positional paroxysmal benign vertigo. Electric shock-like feeling in the head occurs due to trigeminal neuralgia. It is a condition where a nerve in the brain gets irritated and it appears normal in brain MRI. A lesion in the brain means that there is a visible change in the brain tissue and it is shown in MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). It possibly indicates a tumor, infection or loss of brain cells, or demyelination. Every brain lesion has different treatments and it depends on the type of lesions such as demyelinating disorders and degenerative disorders. Degenerative disorders are often caused in old age. MRI angiogram or gadolinium enhancement helps to exclude a possible vessel disorder. As your brain MRI is normal, then there is nothing serious. I suggest you take Carbamazepine for electric shocks and try taking Meclizine for vertigo boots. I suggest you check your thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction.

I have checked my thyroid levels and it was fine. My symptoms seem to be life-threatening. They look like epilepsy or stroke. Do these symptoms like ringing in the ears and brain zaps will go away?

#

You do not have epilepsy or stroke. You may suffer from peripheral vertigo and trigeminal neuralgia. For this reason, you can start taking Dimenhydrinate and Carbamazepine. This medication will help to improve your situation. Kindly discuss this treatment option with your treating specialist.

|