Q. How serious is a triple valve disease in a smoker?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2021

I am a 42 year old male. I smoke 30 to 40 cigarettes per day. I was admitted into a hospital last week with chest pain and underwent angiography, which showed triple vessel disease. ECG was showing normal rhythm with no evidence of acute ischemic changes. Troponins were mildly elevated at 21-30-22 ng/mL. Total cholesterol was 5.7 mmol/L and LDL was 3.8 mmol/L. I was discharged with medications (please see the attached pictures). My general practitioner told me to stay at home for at least a week.

My main question is how serious does my angiography look? I was told by my doctor, that all three major vessels are affected. Does it need any surgery or can I stay just on medications? Can I continue working? I was told to stop smoking, but I cannot stop smoking immediately. Is e-cigarette good substitute or not? How long can I live with a disease like this?

#

• After seeing your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), yes, three of your major vessels are affected. But, the seriousness depends on the percentage of the block and how narrow the vessels have become, which I cannot make out by looking at the photo.
  • You will be able to continue your job after taking rest for a week as suggested by your general physician.
  • With the right treatment and medication, you can expect a normal life expectancy.

For further information contact a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|