Q. TSH of 5960 and free T4 of 1. 14 in an 8-year-old. Should I be worried?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Dec 08, 2017

My 8-year-old daughter had labs done twice now and I have one doctor saying its concerning and another saying they are fine. I need another opinion. Labs done two months ago TSH was 5210 and free T4 was 1.43 and labs done this month are TSH is 5960 and free T4 is 1.14. I have attached lab reports for your reference.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that your daughter has a slightly high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

As of now, there is no need to take any treatment. However, her tests have to be repeated in every three months.

You have to observe her closely for growth parameters like weight and height according to her age and later keep a watch regarding achieving puberty. If any of these aspects fall behind then she needs to take treatment for it.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Does thyroid problem delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old unmarried female. Before six months, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have been taking Thyronorm 100 mcg. Recently, I had TSH test and the level was 0.47 U/mL, which is considered as hyperthyroid. When my doctor asked me the previous dosage, by mistake I told her...  Read Full »

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now