Free T4

Is there necessity for treatment of borderline TSH and T4 levels in a newborn?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 42 days old. His activities are normal, but his TSH level is 5.6 miu /ml and lab normal range is 4-8 miu/ml and his total T4 level is 8.6 mcg/dl and my lab normal level is, 4-8 miu /ml. My doctor says that he is in borderline and needs treatment as the correlation between t...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. TSH of 5.6 is high normal and T4 of 8.6 is fine. If this is the first time you are checking it, repeat after five days, do a free T3, free T4, and TSH next time. They are better interpreters. Correlation between the hormone levels seems to be fine. The condition whi...  Read Full »

Am I suffering from any thyroid disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old male. My height is 5'9" and weight is 92 kg. I got tested for thyroid yesterday and got an antithyroid panel test today. My reports are attached. Am I suffering from hypothyroidism or any thyroid disorder? Do I need to start medication?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it shows hypothyroidism. Are you a known hypothyroid? Has the treatment for your thyroid issue already been initiated? Do you have any other symptoms like constipation, mood changes, intolerance t...  Read Full »

What should I do to get a normal TSH level?

Query: Hi doctor, Last year, when I checked my thyroid profile my T3 and T4 were in normal range. But, my TSH level was greater than 150 (normal range 0.35 - 5.50). My doctor prescribed me 100 mg Eltroxin. After three months, my T3 181.7 (normal range 60 -180) and T4 15.2 (normal range 4.50 - 12.60). T3 an...  Read Full »

Dr. Deep Dutta

Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please ensure that you take medicines daily in the empty stomach, at least 1 hour before any food. If you miss your thyroid medicine today, you can take two tablets tomorrow to ensure that you take 30 tablets in 30 days of the month. Even missing 1 or 2 doses in a month w...  Read Full »

TSH of 5960 and free T4 of 1.14 in an 8-year-old. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, My 8-year-old daughter had labs done twice now and I have one doctor saying its concerning and another saying they are fine. I need another opinion. Labs done two months ago TSH was 5210 and free T4 was 1.43 and labs done this month are TSH is 5960 and free T4 is 1.14. I hav...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that your daughter has a slightly high TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone). As of now, there is no need to take any treatment. However, h...  Read Full »

My wife was advised to take thyroid medicines during pregnancy. Is there a problem?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is five months pregnant. We had done a TSH level test in the second month. It showed 8.8. Then the gynecologist put her on 50 mcg Thyronorm tablets. Yesterday we went for a check-up. She ordered a thyroid profile test as well as a TIFFA scan. Is there any problem? I am uploa...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen her reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The medicines were required and hence she was started on those. That was the right thing to do. Continue to take the same dose. Repeat the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormones) and FT4 after a mont...  Read Full »

Should I be concerned about my slightly high free T4 level?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 59 year old male in generally excellent health. I am 5'10" tall and weighs 170 pounds. I am very fit for my age. I just had an annual physical and laboratory work, and it was generally excellent. I had a complete thyroidectomy before nine years due to several large but benign cysts...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think that you should be concerned. For the free T4 to get high and cause worried your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) should get suppressed, which is not the case with you. I would suggest you keep the same dose and repeat TSH and free T4 after two months. S...  Read Full »

Do I feel like passing out due to neurological disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism before 1.5 years. Currently, I am on Thyroxine 75 mcg and Aten 25. Still, I have the symptom of passing out feeling. Please advise.  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to have some more information. When was your last FT4 and TSH levels checked? What do you feel exactly? Is there any generalized weakness or giddiness? Do you have an inability to tolerate cold? Please let me know the answers to discuss further. Revert back w...  Read Full »