Q. What should I do to improve my 2 months old baby's health condition?

Published on Feb 21, 2017

My baby is 2 months old. He is suffering from omphalitis, which appeared after 24 hours of birth. He had artificial respiration thrice. He was in the ICU for one month. Also, he had a kidney function disorder and blood breaks. He went through blood and blood platelet transfusion. After discharging, artificial respiration continued during sleep. Three weeks later, he suddenly had spasm (seizure) and is on medication. He is bottle feeding. He has normal limbs movement and normal head circumference (35.5 cm). His attentiveness is poor, cannot follow faces, movements or light with his eyes; however, he shows some reactions when exposed to sunlight. The latest diagnosis is that he has a cerebral atrophy. He is on Phenobarbital 60 mg. One fourth of the tablet to be melted in 1.5 cc water and then 1 cc water has to be given to the baby twice a day and Encephabol liquid 2 mg in the morning.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• It appears that he had a lung infection called as pneumonia, which led to an infection in the blood, low oxygen in the blood and low blood pressure. Because of this there is decreased blood supply to brain and brain damage leading to cerebral atrophy.
  • His initial reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) showed infection, kidney damage and multiple abnormalities, but a lot of improvement is seen in the recent reports.
  • He appears to be out of danger. Now, continue spasm medicine which he is having. Also, continue attentiveness increasing medicine Encephabol (Pyritinol Dihydrochloride).
  • Decreased attentiveness is due to brain damage, and he should catch up as he grows. Repeatedly, try to communicate with the baby to help in the faster recovery of the brain.
  • At this point of time, attention should be in the diet, which should be adequate and regular feeds. Also follow limb physiotherapy, preventing infection like cleaning hands before touching baby, cleanliness of the room, avoid too many contacts with the baby if possible.
  • If the baby develops a fever again and any respiratory distress, then he should be hospitalized urgently for antibiotics.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Can sinus infection cause seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to get a second opinion for my relative. He is a 19 year old male. He had a seizure last year and the second seizure was on last week. His EEG was normal and also had an MRI. The doctors said that he has chronic sinusitis with thickened mucosa and they started giving him...  Read Full »

Are Absence Seizures Absolutely Risky?

Article Overview: Previously known as petit mal seizures, this type of seizure is more commonly seen in children. Let us read on to know how it can be managed effectively in everyday life. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

A seizure is caused by a brief period of abnormal electrical activity (electrical impulses) in a person's brain. An absence seizure has a generalized onset, meaning, it starts on both sides of the brain simultaneously. In this type, there is a sudden loss of awareness characterized by blank staring ...  Read Article