Q. Shall I plan for a baby while on TB treatment?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane
Published on Apr 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Recently I went to doctor as I was coughing up with blood. The doctor prescribed a few tests and x-ray. After that, I got to know that I am suffering from TB. Now, I am on Ethambutol, Pyrazinamide and R Cinex for at least six months. I just wanted to know whether can I still plan for a baby while on TB treatment as I am eagerly waiting to get pregnant. I was on Clomid, Duphaston, and Progynova as I was taking fertility treatment too. But, I recently stopped all fertility medicine when I got to know about TB. I felt that it is worth now thinking of the baby. Please help as we are completely confused and so many things in mind making us feel more scary.

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Childbirth Educator Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I can understand your situation

• First, you need to know that untreated tuberculosis can cause maternal as well as fetal complications.
  • I would like to advise you to take drugs at least for six months and then try for pregnancy.
  • The drugs you are taking such as Isoniazid, Rifampicin, Ethambutol and Pyrazinamide are relatively safe during pregnancy.

For further information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

Intermenstrual Bleeding or Spotting - Is it Normal or Should I be Worried?

Article Overview: Intermenstrual vaginal bleeding or spotting or bleeding between periods is considered abnormal and may usually require a patient seeing a doctor. It is also termed metrorrhagia. Normally, a woman has a regular menstrual cycle of 28 days with ranges between 21-35 days considered normal and menses can last for 2-7 days. Any bleeding out of these are considered abnormal.  Read Article

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Causes of Intermenstrual bleeding: Intermenstrual bleeding or bleeding between periods can be caused by a vast number of factors which may be physical or organic and psychosocial. If you are experiencing intermenstrual bleeding, then your doctor maybe a able to rule out one of the below most probab...  Read Article

How long should I take treatment to dissolve a tuberculosis lump?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small lump on the right side of my neck near the cervical area. I have been having this for the last one month. Although I am on treatment, the lump has not gone. The doctor took out the pus from the infected area, and the laboratory reports confirmed it as tuberculosis. In that...  Read Full »

What is the chance of transmitting TB to partner after completion of medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pulmonary TB and this is the third month since taking medicine. I had blood in sputum few times and sputum test showed negative but based on CT scan, the doctor suspected pulmonary TB. I was recommended medicine for six months. I am feeling better after taking medicine and...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now