Q. Shall I plan for a baby while on TB treatment?

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Recently I went to doctor as I was coughing up with blood. The doctor prescribed a few tests and x-ray. After that, I got to know that I am suffering from TB. Now, I am on Ethambutol, Pyrazinamide and R Cinex for at least six months. I just wanted to know whether can I still plan for a baby while on TB treatment as I am eagerly waiting to get pregnant. I was on Clomid, Duphaston, and Progynova as I was taking fertility treatment too. But, I recently stopped all fertility medicine when I got to know about TB. I felt that it is worth now thinking of the baby. Please help as we are completely confused and so many things in mind making us feel more scary.

#

I can understand your situation

• First, you need to know that untreated tuberculosis can cause maternal as well as fetal complications.
  • I would like to advise you to take drugs at least for six months and then try for pregnancy.
  • The drugs you are taking such as Isoniazid, Rifampicin, Ethambutol and Pyrazinamide are relatively safe during pregnancy.

For further information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|