Common "Anti Tubercular Drugs" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Anti Tubercular Drugs

A multidrug regimen is followed to treat tuberculosis, which can be either first-line drugs or second-line drugs. First line drugs are given for new patients of TB, and the drugs include Isoniazid, Rifampin, Pyrazinamide, and Ethambutol. Second line drugs are used in case of drug-resistant TB, the drugs like Fluoroquinolones, Amikacin, Kanamycin, Linezolid, etc. are used.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why did my doctor suggest surgery for spinal TB, despite improvements in symptoms with medication?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with spinal TB five years ago in the middle of the year. The pain began at the end of the year, and I have been under medication for the past seven months. Initially, my pain was so severe that I could not get out of bed, but my pain is subsiding now. My weight was 53 kgs...  Read Full »

Dr. Palani Kumar Chellamuthu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. I am glad to know that your condition has improved, and I assume you are still on Anti-TB (tuberculosis) treatment drugs. 1. Your X-rays and scan reports show your TB is healing (attachment removed to protect the ...  Read Full »

I am on antitubercular drugs Akurit 4. Can I take Silymarin syrup for liver protection?

Query: Hello doctor. I am 31 years old. Recently I have been diagnosed with tubercular lymphadenitis and I have been taking the anti-tubercular medicine Akurit 4 for one week. I have done Hb electrophoresis by HPLC method test where along with other values HbA1c % was shown 4.8 %. Is it the same HbA1c that...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. 1. It is the same which is used in diabetics and it is normal. In the attached report, (the report has been removed to maintain the privacy of the patient) HbA2 is elevated and it is an indicator of beta thalassemia carrier. 2. There are no c...  Read Full »

What is the chance of transmitting TB to partner after completion of medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) and this is the third month since taking medicine. I had blood in sputum few times and sputum test showed negative but based on computed tomography (CT) scan, the doctor suspected pulmonary TB. I was recommended medicine for six months. I am feel...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq. com. I would need to know that have you got a repeat sputum test or chest X-ray after the treatment has started. I need to see that before I could answer your questions.  Read Full »

My father has yellowing of eyes after medicines for tuberculosis. Is it normal?

Query: Hi doctor, My father was diagnosed with PTB (pulmonary tuberculosis) last month. He is 64 years old. When I was a kid, my father used to smoke cigarettes a lot and got addicted to alcohol. He had these habits until 4 months. Now, he has stopped these habits. Now, he is under a treatment called direc...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Abdul Nasir

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I completely understand your question. Your father is facing a common side effect due to antitubercular drugs. The yellowing of the eyes occurs due to jaundice. It is caused due to three of the four medications that are prescribed for tuberculosis. There is nothing to...  Read Full »

Is it right to have surgery for the compression present with bone tuberculosis?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has bone tuberculosis. He has compression in D4 to D5. He is bedridden now. Currently, he is taking medicine for TB. Is it necessary to do surgery or not? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Goel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This condition is known as pott's spine. There is a presence of tuberculosis in the spine. It is managed by taking ATT (antituberculosis medication). It is not good to have surgery duri...  Read Full »

Why is my father having frequent urination after surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My father aged 62 had undergone the kidney stone removal on both the kidneys. But, after one week of removal he suffered frequent urination with heavy pain. We have tested urine culture report and result is negative. Again we took an UV scan and come to know that the bladder size is reduc...  Read Full »

Dr. Gopinath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I went through the reports and prescription (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From the report he has a decreased renal function with increased serum creatinine levels as well as urinary infection seen as increased pus cells. Whenever the culture is negat...  Read Full »

Can we get normal kidney function with a high creatinine level?

Query: Hello doctor, My aunt's creatinine level is 5.7 and her kidney size of 8*3.4 cm (right and left). Currently she, is under treatment. Looking forward to know if it can be brought to normal kidney functioning? What time does it take to become normal? Her BP is 150/95 mmHg. She is under medication f...  Read Full »

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Answer: Hi, Welcome to To help you better I need further details. Since how long is she suffering from this? How are her blood pressure and blood sugar? How is her urine output? Where is she located? Revert with the asked details for better help.  Read Full »

I have a bearable headache after hospitalization. Is it due to meningoencephalitis?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is a 28 year old male. His weight is 123.46 lb and height is 6 feet. He was an assistant Professor in an Engineering college. For around five days, He had a heavy unbearable headache, high fever, vomiting, loss of appetite, lost consciousness and had a single episode of seizur...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to As per given history and reports, it seems that the patient had meningoencephalitis. The probable cause for which may be tuberculosis. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) also showed granulomas in the brain and the patient is currently on four drug ATT (antituberculosis ...  Read Full »

I am a TB patient, feeling hopeless. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old female TB patient. For the last three to four years, I have been unwell. Earlier, I consulted doctors in my town. But, they were unable to treat me. I ultimately went to a bigger city for my treatment. For the last year, they have been treating me. There is a very s...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concerns. I am sorry to know that you are suffering for years with little success to date. Firstly, I would like to inform you that weight gain is a good sign of treatment responsiveness. Secondly, unlike other infective illn...  Read Full »

Will my testicular infection transmit through unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor,My left testicle is swollen, and it pains sometimes. Doctors say that there is some infection. I was prescribed with AKT-4. Three months back, my semen analysis report showed pus cells 2-4 hpf and RBC 2-4 hpf. My present report showed pus cells nil and RBC nil. Semen culture report showed ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description, it appears that you suffered from epididymo-orchitis due to tubercular infection. Although the urine culture and microscopy report showed all normal, it is advisable to use protection while ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.