Q. I have habit-tic deformity. How to get rid of this problem?

Published on Apr 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I am a 33 year old male. My weight is 64 kg and height is 5'5". I am having a peculiar problem, and upon a lot of research on the internet, I found out that it is a habit-tic deformity. I am having horizontal ripples on my right thumb since closely three years. I recently started observing the same in another finger. I had a bad habit of picking skin on fingers, biting and clipping off nails, but now I have stopped all those. Still, nail deformation is a problem for me. I have attached the photos of mine for clarity. Could you please help me on how can I get rid of this problem? I am taking general multivitamin supplements and Biotin 5000 mcg vegetarian softgel.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have read your concern and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It seems you have developed longitudinal furrow of the nail plate due to habit-tic (constant stroking or picking nails).
  • This nail deformity is also known as onychodystrophia mediana canaliformis. It is due to the nervous tic of pushing back the cuticle and the proximal nail fold of the thumb with the index finger.
  • You need to change your habit and go for yoga or heartfulness exercises.
  • I suggest you tablet Xtraglo once daily in place of plain Biotin after consulting your GP or near by dermatologist

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your quick response to my previous question. Here are Couple of follow up questions to my last query:

a. Would like to know how long I have to use xtraglo? I am based in US at this point and so I will be happy if there is any other drug/tablet that you can suggest in place of xtraglo.

b. Based your experience will tablet alone is enough or do I need to apply any gel or solution externally? If so please suggest gel as well (two - three I can buy in US which are really effective).

c. I am working out daily in gym (doing cardio etc.) in place of yoga, wanted to understand how my nail problem is related to yoga or workout.

Appreciate your time and valuable inputs.

Thanks!!
Sridhar Mandala

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
# hi i welcome you on icliniq
1.i have seen your query
2. you have to take xtraglo for around 5-6 months,
3. there is no exact combination tablets in USA in place of xtraglo, but you can use combination having biotin, L-methionin, L-cystein.
4. since this is a self created defects, it's not a disease so only oral nail supplements are sufficient, you can use xerina lotion twice, it's a moisturising lotions
5.see physical exercise some time not enough to change your habits, yoga or heartfulness exercises makes you calm, and restricted your body movements for certain moment, which may help you in control of your habit

Why are my nails itchy, yellow and breaks easily?

Query: Hello doctor, Nails are itchy, yellow looking, break easily and it has probably been more than six months and getting worse.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. It would be great if you could attach pictures of your nails for proper diagnosis and treatment. You see there can be different reasons for that, it might be onychomycosis (fungal infection of nails) or may be weathering of nails. So, please kindly attach pictures for th...  Read Full