Q. Why do I have on and off twitching in the front left side of my tongue?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

I have been experiencing twitching in the front left side of my tongue on and off for two days. What could be the reason? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

Your symptoms could be related to a pinched nerve (cranial neuritis). I suggest you consult a neurologist for a physical examination and a brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). I would also suggest avoiding hot and spicy food, caffeinated drinks, etc.

Kindly revert for more queries.

Thank you for your reply.

Can a pinched nerve cause a twitch in the tongue? The twitching is localized to one spot on the tongue. I asked this question earlier to another provider, and he suggested that I should get tested for ALS. I am highly anxious about his suggestion. Do you think what I am describing could be associated in any way? Kindly help.

#

The tongue twitching in ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) is usually associated with difficulty swallowing liquids and hard food. Other symptoms like muscle weakness, wasting, and twitching will be present all over the body. I do not think that this is your case. I recommend performing a brain MRI and consulting with a neurologist.

|