Q. What could be the reason for ICU hospitalization in a patient with type 1 diabetes?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

My brother was admitted to the ICU and later discharged after three days. I need a second opinion and diagnosis and future dietary restrictions. I have attached the reports for your reference. Please note that he has type 1 diabetes. Kindly give me your suggestions on his reports.

#

I went through your query regarding your brother who suffered from acute pancreatitis. Also, I read the doctor's notes saying he has type 2 diabetes (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Acute pancreatitis is often caused by gallstones or drinking too much alcohol. A healthy lifestyle can reduce the chances of developing the condition. So, I suggest you to make your brother follow the instructions mentioned below,

1. Eating a balanced diet that includes at least five portions of fresh fruits and vegetables a day. It is the most effective way of preventing gallstones.

2. His diet should include whole grains inclusive of wholemeal bread, oats, and brown rice. This helps lower the amount of cholesterol in the body.

3. He should avoid eating too many fatty foods with a high cholesterol content. There seems to be a link between having high cholesterol and developing gallstones.

4. Being overweight also increases the chances of developing gallstones. Maintaining a healthy weight by eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly reduces the risk of developing the condition.

5. He can reduce the risk of developing acute pancreatitis by cutting back on drinking alcohol. This helps to prevent the pancreas from being damaged.

6. It is recommended that he should not drink more than 14 units a week. He can stop drinking for three days or more if he drinks as much as 14 units a week.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply.

I have a follow-up report and would like you to review it and provide us with a diagnosis.

#

I understand your concern.

I read your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) and compared them with your previous reports. You are doing quite well now.

Your inflammation has reduced, and your blood tests are good.

Congratulations, follow my advice as before.

|