Q. Which antibiotic will be effective for typhoid fever?

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari
Published on Sep 15, 2017

I am a 36 year old male patient. I have been suffering from typhoid for the past one month. After getting my pathology report, the doctor advised me to take one week medication of tablet Cefuroxime 500 mg twice a day. Before this, I had Azithromycin 500 mg. Is the advice given by doctor correct? Which antibiotic will be effective for me? I have attached my pathology test report for your reference. I shall be grateful for your kind reply.

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

#

I had gone through all the details posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Kindly tell me some more details about your illness.

• You were saying that you have suffered from this illness since 1 month. What does it mean? Do you have fever continuously for one month?
  • Do you have abdominal pain? How many doses of Azithromycin have you used?
  • Kindly note that the role of serology in the diagnosis of typhoid fever is limited. If you do not have fever or any other problem except a positive serology report, then you do not need any treatment.
  • More specific investigations for diagnosis of typhoid is blood culture or serology showing titer more than 1:320 or rising titer.
  • Regarding medications, it is better to use third generation Cephalosporin than second generation one, which is Cefuroxime.
  • You can use Cefixime 200 mg one tablet in the morning and one at night for 10 days. This treatment is indicated only if have a fever or issues related to typhoid fever. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • If there is no fever, then repeat the Widal test again. The rising titer may suggest an acute infection and antibiotics may be needed.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

There are thick lumpy nodes and white discharge from foreskin. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I was treated with Fluconazole 400 mg once daily and applied Sertaconazole twice daily for 10 days but thick lumpy nodes show in the foreskin and also a thick white discharge under the foreskin.This area also deep shown. Please advice. My sugar level is normal and HbA1c is 5.9. There ...  Read Full »

Please help me with the typhoid report.

Query: Hi doctor, The patient has stomach ache and weakness. I have the patient's Widal test report. Please help me with the typhoid report. Thanks in advance.  Read Full »

Can you take Tylenol with Amoxicillin?

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. I received a prescription for Tylenol 3 (equivalent to Acetaminophen 300 mg and Codeine 30 mg) for pain and Amoxicillin (500 mg) to prevent infection. I immediately took one Amoxicillin as I walked out of the dental office and for the rest of th...  Read Full »