Q. How can frequent unconsciousness be treated?

Dr. Prakashkumar P.Bhatt
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Nov 18, 2019

My wife, 26 years old, is facing some problem of senselessness. When she is feeling tension, become senseless near about one hour. Before few months, she became senseless 7 to 8 times in her life. But then, she fell down from staircase, became senseless for 1.50 hours. She gets pain at back side of head. CT scan and EEG report normal. Pressure low. Hemoglobin lower. In these two to three months she became senseless 20 times. Even twice a day. What should I do now?

Dr. Prakashkumar P.Bhatt

General Medicine Internal Medicine Neurology
#

She loses sense (consciousness) for 1 to 1.5 hours, and same thing happened for more than 20 times in the past few months. Probably she is suffering from some tension, it does not seem to be seizure or convulsion as it lasts for 1 to 1.5 hours and CT brain and EEG are normal (attachment removed to protect aptient identity).

But still seizure cannot be ruled out as she fell down and became unconscious. Tell me more about her senselessness. Is she moving or shaking her hand and legs during that episode? Is she having frothing from mouth? Tongue bite? Urine and stool incontinence? Does she remain confused after waking up from that event? If no to all, then it is less likely to be a seizure or convulsion or mirgi.

Now can you tell me any issues or tension or family quarrel in home? If yes, then try to clear it out give her some relaxation if possible, give her warmth and family support. Correct her hemoglobin with proper Iron medications. Encourage her to take proper diet on time and adequate sleep. Tell her to take enough water and salt as needed. Regular exercises. Check her BP and sugar if not done. If possible, do one MRI brain as CT scan is not a good test to see everything. If possible, take opinion of psychiatrist for tension relieving medicines or directly she can take tablet Nexito Plus 1/2 tablet at night.

How common is seizure in elderly people?

Query: Hi doctor, I am an 86 year old healthy male. I had sudden seizures. What is the reason behind it? I have attached my MRI brain with this. Please explain.  Read Full »

I am depressed due to the guilt of ejaculating while sleeping in the same bed with my mother. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 55 year old male, and I have been suffering from depression due to extreme guilt from 22 years. I have been taking allopathic medicines, but my depression bounces back. Actually, my childhood, teenage, and adolescent was disturbing. My father always abused me, and my parents qu...  Read Full »

Are Absence Seizures Absolutely Risky?

Article Overview: Previously known as petit mal seizures, this type of seizure is more commonly seen in children. Let us read on to know how it can be managed effectively in everyday life. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

A seizure is caused by a brief period of abnormal electrical activity (electrical impulses) in a person's brain. An absence seizure has a generalized onset, meaning, it starts on both sides of the brain simultaneously. In this type, there is a sudden loss of awareness characterized by blank staring ...  Read Article