Q. Why am I not able to control my BP with medicines?

Dr. Rishu
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a resistant hypertension. Even five drugs failed with a lot of side effects. I was safe on Methyldopa for 2 years with Hydrochlorothiazide. Now, there is no supply of this medicine. I started Nebivolol 5 mg with Chlorthalidone last night. I have the feel of chest tightening and slight giddiness. All my blood pictures are normal, including cardiac markers. What would be the best for me? Telmisartan 80 mg, Metoprolol, Prazosin and Ramipril combination does not seem to work. Blurred and double vision, steatorrhea, giddiness and palpitations were the problems I had and they all went off with Methyldopa. Please suggest any best combinations. Thank you.

Dr. Rishu

Cardiology
#

• With all your details, you come under stage 3 - severe hypertensive group. First, I would suggest you to look for the cause of grade 3 hypertension.
  • Conditions like pheochromocytoma can lead to resistant hypertension. To rule out pheochromocytoma an MRI of the abdomen is advised. Also, serum metanephrines and vanillylmandelic acid levels are to be seen.
  • Secondarily, in some patients, renal artery stenosis (blockage of blood vessels supplying kidney) can lead to such a high level of blood pressure. So, to rule out this I would suggest you renal artery Doppler. Any blockage in renal artery would be reflected in it.
  • As far your history is concerned, you are already on five hypertensive pills and still BP is not controlled. So, it is very likely that this severe hypertension can be because of the problems I suspected.
  • Please undergo cardiac evaluation as stage 3 hypertension is a very strong factor to precipitate cardiac disease. 2D echocardiography should be done to rule out any hypertrophy of heart muscles.
  • Blurred vision and double vision can be because of retinopathy and that is because of such high blood pressure. Also, such high BP for years increases the risk of stroke. So, a brain MRI should be done to rule out any risk for stroke in the near future.
  • I would suggest you the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Tablet Carca (Carvedilol) 25 mg twice daily for cardioprotection.
  2. Tablet S Numlo (Amlodipine) 5 mg twice daily.
  3. Tablet Nitrocontin (Glyceryl trinitrate) 6.2 mg twice daily at 9 AM and 4 PM.
  4. Tablet Lasix (Furosemide) 40 mg in the morning 9 AM and 20 mg at 4 PM (monitor sodium and potassium every third day).
  5. Tablet Ecosprin AV (Aspirin and Atorvastatin) 75/10 mg once at night.
  6. Tablet Folvite (Folic acid) 5 mg once daily.
  7. Tablet Eptus (Eplerenone) 25 mg once daily
  8. Sachet Tayo K (Cholecalciferol) once a week for 4 weeks.
  • Follow severe lifestyle modification and walk 45 minutes a day for 6 days a week. Maintain a record book of BP on every third day.
  • I would like to see a copy of your ECG, cardiac markers, kidney function tests and other tests as we do not treat numbers (they can be normal) and we treat the patient.
  • Please mention your lifestyle, eating habits, anxiety levels, alcohol habit, smoking and sleep cycle. Do you feel breathlessness or chest pain on walking?

Most likely pheochromocytoma or renal artery stenosis.

Complete cardiac checkup, 2D echo, treadmill test, renal artery Doppler, MRI kidney to rule out pheochromocytoma, serum vanillylmandelic acid and serum metanephrines.

Medications as advised.

Revert back with the detailed history and reports to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|