Uncontrolled Hypertension

Will diastolic dysfunction lead to heart failure?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 46 year old male. My height is 184 cm and weight is 98 kg. I have been having balancing problems for over a year. It is some form of sensory ataxia. I also have compression in C4-C5 and C5-C6 cervical spine. I also have severe sleep apnea. I had some breathlessness and chest discom...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and keen observation. Yes, diastolic dysfunction can cause heart failure. But, we need to find out the reason here. Sleep apnea is one additive factor and need to treat it. Also, you need to...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to control my BP with medicines?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a resistant hypertension. Even five drugs failed with a lot of side effects. I was safe on Methyldopa for 2 years with Hydrochlorothiazide. Now, there is no supply of this medicine. I started Nebivolol 5 mg with Chlorthalidone last night. I have the feel of chest tightening and sli...  Read Full »

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With all your details, you come under stage 3 - severe hypertensive group. First, I would suggest you to look for the cause of grade 3 hypertension. Conditions like pheochromocytoma can lead to resistant hypertension. To rule out pheochromocytoma an MRI of the abdomen ...  Read Full »

What is the reson for high Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 72 years old. His ESR is 102. All kidney, liver and hemoglobin are in the range along with clear chest x-ray. Recently, he had right ribs and collar bone fracture. Also, he was diagnosed to have hemopneumothorax and chest tube was given for that. What may be the possible cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the details posted. ESR is an acute phase reactant (erythrocyte sedimentation reaction). It suggests that there is something is going on inside body, but it does not localize the problem. Any infection, inflammation or low hemoglobin can cause...  Read Full »

Can I take Telmisartan-Cilnidipine instead of Losartan for high blood pressure?

Query: Hello doctor, I have high blood pressure 171/90 with pulse rate 79, blood sugar under control after medication (fasting is 120 and PP is 146). I am taking high blood pressure medicine Losartan Potassium 50 mg. Can I start Telmisartan and Cilnidipine tablets instead of Losartan Potassium with my blo...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what you mentioned, you have uncontrolled elevated blood pressure which requires upgrading of your medication. Losartan has the same efficacy as Telmisartan as both are from the same group. I suggest that you change Losartan to Telmisartan/Cilnidipine as the co...  Read Full »

What does my CT scan indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, My CT scan impression is as follows: hypodensity seen in right external capsule - infarct. Diffuse cerebral atrophy. Lacunar infarcts in bilateral basal ganglia, corona radiata and centrum semiovale.  Read Full »

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that these CT scan findings indicate repeated small ischemic strokes related to uncontrolled high blood pressure. I would recommend performing a Doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries to exclude any possible significant nar...  Read Full »

How will high blood pressure affect the kidney?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom is 65 years old. Her blood pressure is 180/90 mmHg. She is suffering from urine infection and her serum uric acid is 7.6 mg/dL. I have attached her other reports for your reference. She is currently on Norflox 400 twice daily, Ciploric 300 one tablet daily at night, Telma AM one t...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is due to high blood pressure. Her urine culture and sensitivity report attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is negative, meaning there is no known pathogen in her urine that may have caused the infection. Her uric acid levels are not that much h...  Read Full »

Why do I get occasional muscle cramp type feeling in the chest?

Query: Hi doctor, Since last two to three years I have high blood pressure ranging 145/95 mmHg. This was mainly due to less physical activity and anxiety. I had medicine Telma 40, Telmaxx 25 etc., only one at a time. But, BP and anxiety did not get controlled. Again doctor advised me for Cilacar 5 mg twice...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have thoroughly gone through your case and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and can well understand your genuine health concerns.  Read Full »