Q. What are the ways to treat undisplaced fractures?

Dr. Pandian. P

Fifteen days back, I twisted my left foot while playing football and heard a popping sound. I had got an X-ray done on that day. My doctor checked the X-ray and informed me that there was no fracture, and asked me to take rest for a few days. However, ten days back, when I visited the hospital, the doctor told me I have a fracture in my 5th metatarsal bone and suggested to use a cast or boot for a month. I chose a boot and had been wearing it for ten days. While wearing the boot, I do not feel any pain in my foot as I am not putting any pressure on it. Also, I feel uncomfortable with the boot, so I remove it while sleeping or taking rest and wear it only when I stand or walk.

Can I continue to do so, or should I wear it all the time? Could you please check my X-ray and explain the fracture's severity and how long it may take to heal? Also, can I try to walk without a boot or wait for my next appointment, which is after ten days?

Kindly advise.

#

As there was a cracking sound when you injured your foot; there might have been an undisplaced fracture. A fracture takes a minimum of three weeks to heal. During the healing period, there must be no movement of the fracture site. I suggest you to wear boots while walking or wear a crepe bandage. There is no need to wear a bandage during sleeping.

Kindly revert for further advice.

|