Q. I feel sinus abnormality as the reason for my headache. What is your opinion?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2022

I am a 32-year-old female. My weight is 60 kg and my height is 1.72 m. For around five years, I have been suffering from light pressure headaches, as if a balloon is in my head. It comes with pulsatile tinnitus on and off, mostly when I bend over, get up from a chair, etc. Also, I suffer from balance problems and slight visual disturbances. The tinnitus and eye problem only affect my right side. The complaints vary in severity. I have weeks in a row with major complaints alternating with weeks with very mild complaints. I visited an ENT and neurologist. A brain MRI and an MRA of the vessels were taken. Due to an empty sella, IIH was suspected. When I came for the lumbar puncture, I was in my good weeks with very few complaints. The opening pressure was 22, so IIH was ruled out. Also, no papilledema was found at that time. My blood pressure, in general, is in the normal range, more on the lower side than on the higher side. The MRI scans were taken about three years ago, and when looking back at them by myself, I think my left transverse sinus looks maybe a bit abnormal. I am on a regular birth control pill, and occasionally, I take Propranolol for pounding heart. I was wondering what the opinion of a professional is and whether this could explain my complaints. Thanks a lot for your answer.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all, I do not think any abnormality of the transverse sinus can explain your symptoms. The pattern of symptoms of transverse sinus abnormality is entirely different from what you are experiencing.

Although it will be premature to comment on diagnosis as I do not have all the required details about your illness, I must state that there is a possibility of a migraine.

The features favoring migraine are unilateral nature, fluctuating course, the presence of ENT (ear, nose, and throat) and eye symptoms along with balance issues.

In case your doctor has not ruled out the possibility of migraine, then I will suggest you discuss the very same issue on your next visit with your doctor.

|