Q. What is the significance of minimal fluid in POD?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

We had unprotected sex and after that she took I-pill within one hour. Is there any chance of pregnancy? She had an ultrasound and there is minimal fluid found in POD. Otherwise, everything is fine. Please suggest what to do now.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• When the unprotected sex happened? When and why was ultrasound done?
  • Fluid in POD (pouch of Douglas - between rectum and back part of uterus) in ultrasound can be due to ovulation. If unprotected sex happened around ovulation and had birth control pill, there will be around 1% chance of pregnancy.
  • She will come to know about pregnancy when she misses her period. If she gets period on or before time and if flow is normal or heavy, then the pregnancy is ruled out.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

It happened on the 8th morning and within 1 hour she took an I-pill. She had an ultrasound after three days of sex.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Fluid in POD is likely to be due to ovulation. In that case, the chance of pregnancy would be around 1%.
  • If she becomes pregnant (emergency pill fails), you will have the option to terminate pregnancy through medicines. You will need to contact a gynecologist once pregnancy test comes positive for prescription of medicines.
  • If a period starts earlier or on time, then pregnancy would be ruled out and you will be worry free.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|